85 fj60 block for a 77 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can a 1985 2f engine block be used as a replacement for a 1977 2f block? I put a rod through my original 2f block and am hoping to rebuild it using an 85 fj60 2f block i recently found for sale. Anybody try this before?

Sure can. You’d want as many of the parts as you can get for the 2F.
Where in WA are you located?

I saw your other thread. Not against putting a 2F back in it, but why not look into getting the F engine in it now running again? At least for now.

I saw your other thread. Not against putting a 2F back in it, but why not look into getting the F engine in it now running again? At least for now.
Skreddy, the past 3 weeks my son and I have been working on just that. We rebuilt the holley carburetor that was on it. Adjusted the timing, fixed the broken choke cable (thanks to a post here on mud). We were able to get it running last week and checked cylinder compression. #1 is only reading 60 and the rest are 140, 100, 120, 138, 120. I've done a leak down test and concluded the rings are bad. Trying to determine the best place to invest the money.

Gotcha. If it’s been sitting awhile, running it could bump the compression but looking for another 2F isn’t bad. Little more power and better oiling. What kind of shape is the one you found in? Not sure your budget. There’s one near Portland I tried to buy when I found my block was cracked but the guy didn’t want to ever meet up. Still for sale on Facebook.

Gotcha. If it’s been sitting awhile, running it could bump the compression but looking for another 2F isn’t bad. Little more power and better oiling. What kind of shape is the one you found in? Not sure your budget. There’s one near Portland I tried to buy when I found my block was cracked but the guy didn’t want to ever meet up. Still for sale on Facebook.
Found one in Utah looks to be in great shape from the pics. Hmmm portland is much closer! What was he asking for it?

Yes, it'll work. I have an '85 block in my '77 FJ40 but considerations if you do this. If you use the '85 block you'll need to use a later 2F head due to flat top pistons. I'm running the '77 head on mine but had the 2F rebuilt with domed pistons to be able to use the '77 head.

Found one in Utah looks to be in great shape from the pics. Hmmm portland is much closer! What was he asking for it?
I messaged you the ad. Not sure if you have, but maybe put a wanted ad in the classifieds?

Yes, it'll work. I have an '85 block in my '77 FJ40 but considerations if you do this. If you use the '85 block you'll need to use a later 2F head due to flat top pistons. I'm running the '77 head on mine but had the 2F rebuilt with domed pistons to be able to use the '77 head.
My plan was to use all the original '77 internals and just swsp out the cast iron block.

My plan was to use all the original '77 internals and just swsp out the cast iron block.
I did the same thing. 87 2F block and head with 76 era accessories bolted on. Newer head made it easier to my 60 series PS conversion too. I did have to keep the FJ60 style fuel pump though due to a spacing issue if I remember correctly. Good luck!

Last edited:
Newer head made it easier to my 60 series PS conversion too. I did have to keep the FJ60 style fuel pump though due to a spacing issue if I remember correctly. Good luck!

the PS pump bracket bolts to the block, on the fuel pump, I didn't think there is a clearance issue. other than if it needs a spacer or not,
3 lines needs a spacer
2 lines no spacer needed

IIRCC, somewhere thru the 2F generations there was a difference in the thrust bearing, you just need to use the correct thrust bearing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom