Builds 85 fj60 6.0 4l80e swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys so I’ve been reading so much about swaps lately that my eyes are about to bleed haha

So to get started I bought a SOA fj60 with built and braces axles with arb’s geared to 4.88. It had custom drive shafts already along with 4runner brakes and a high steer kit. All in all it’s pretty clean and was a great start for a build so I bought it.
I picked up a lq4 with a rebuilt 4l80e that already had a rear reluctor ring in it for a great price that was totaled out from a theft. Score.
I’ve a plethora of parts for the swap as I wanted to have everything ready to go by the time I started.

Went with AA mounts and split case adapter.
I upgraded the lq4 to the Fitech ls ultimate torque plus pack with the fuel command center 2400 bucks ouch!
Got long tube cts-v headers
Lokar Shifter
New champion radiator
And a bunch of other parts I’ll ad as I get more time

I started the build a few days ago and have been putting long days in and making head way for sure.
As of now I have the old 2f out and the new motor mocked up and in place with the adapter on.

I’m confused on how people are cutting the trans pan to fit the front drive shaft. If anybody has a link or pics of how they did theirs that’d be awesome!
Here’s some pics of the progress so far
Pleas feel free to comment with suggestions

6650506D-9F68-48DB-84B0-4F740FA8B221.jpeg

5DE513D7-4A23-48C4-A6A4-A99200FB7678.jpeg

689517CC-2104-4147-9394-818AA794AE2A.jpeg

3814BB43-359C-49B7-A93F-BC8A2B32E419.jpeg

611DC09C-6C88-42BD-8C57-61B93D7A6B5E.jpeg

Cool man! You’re off and running!

I think every thread that I’ve seen the trans pan has been “massaged” with a hammer to gain clearance for the drive shaft. Haven’t seen one cut. My DS is incredibly close to the pan but after two years and 25000 miles it has not been a problem.

Good luck with it!

-Ed

@tmxmotorsports is doing one right now.

I think he added a spacer between the adapter & tcase to give it more breathing room.

@tmxmotorsports is doing one right now.

I think he added a spacer between the adapter & tcase to give it more breathing room.

Thanks for the replay! I checked his build out along with a bunch of others. I’m going to mess with today while I work on it and see if I can’t turn it in a lathe to knock some circumference off.

Fitech’s system is drive by cable so I need to figure out a throttle cable. I wanted to keep the pull throttle for wheeling so Im looking for ideas with the stock pedal mated to the ls cable. Was thinking a bracket on the firewall?

I think an FJ62 pedal will have two cable attachments.

Or you could weld a second tab to the 60 pedal.

I don't have a build thread on here just on my ig page letting the owner take care of that once the build is finished. I would recommend the spacer it will help i haven't done anything to the transmission as of yet i want to re-use the front cv but may have to go with a mini truck drive shaft flanges. Is your 4l80e a 4x4 transmission if so have you cut down the rear output shaft you lucked out on the rear reluctor ring the transmission i have doesn't have it and i am looking at other options but haven't asked on here yet been doing my own research so if anyone knows of a way would be awsome to chime in. I have an extra spacer that i had made up its a little pricey but its nice.
This is as close as I can get to putting the front drive shaft on

View attachment 1842253

A spacer like @tmxmotorsports has and a mini-truck/4Runner series CV would do the trick nice. The later CV’s and driveshafts have a slightly smaller U-joint and yoke profile. Still more then strong enough (actually I have a theory (hunch) that they’re stronger even though they’re smaller in overall dimension)

Last edited:
Is there a magic 4L80 that works with the AA adapter?

I can’t see how they would sell that as a solution.

I think an FJ62 pedal will have two cable attachments.

Or you could weld a second tab to the 60 pedal.
Doesn't the 60 pedal have the attachment point for the hand throttle?

Is there a magic 4L80 that works with the AA adapter?

I can’t see how they would sell that as a solution.
no there isn't a magical 4l80e transmission i have called aa and talked s*** to them about their 18 year old design and how it needs to be improved i got absolutely no where they didn't want to hear it also mentioned to them that they should be more up front on what exactly you have to do to make it work it doesn't work you dont know it till you have ordered it and its in your hands that you also need the rear reluctor ring added into the transmission to do that you have to take the transmission apart all the way apart to do so i mentioned why not make a adapter to the speedometer output on that transfer case so the computer would see the two speeds off the two vss one is in the front that tells the cpu the input speed and the other at the tcase so it see's the actual output speed in high or low range they said no thats not how it works i said thats how the 4x4 4l80e transmission works and cpu works one vss in the front for input speed the other at the tcase for actual output speed the way gm designed it aa said it not a gm its a Toyota conversion i ended the conversation with i guess we agree to not agree.

no there isn't a magical 4l80e transmission i have called aa and talked s*** to them about their 18 year old design and how it needs to be improved i got absolutely no where they didn't want to hear it also mentioned to them that they should be more up front on what exactly you have to do to make it work it doesn't work you dont know it till you have ordered it and its in your hands that you also need the rear reluctor ring added into the transmission to do that you have to take the transmission apart all the way apart to do so i mentioned why not make a adapter to the speedometer output on that transfer case so the computer would see the two speeds off the two vss one is in the front that tells the cpu the input speed and the other at the tcase so it see's the actual output speed in high or low range they said no thats not how it works i said thats how the 4x4 4l80e transmission works and cpu works one vss in the front for input speed the other at the tcase for actual output speed the way gm designed it aa said it not a gm its a Toyota conversion i ended the conversation with i guess we agree to not agree.
Yeah I agree it’s kinda bs when they could easy increase the length of the adapter and it’d be good to go

I don't have a build thread on here just on my ig page letting the owner take care of that once the build is finished. I would recommend the spacer it will help i haven't done anything to the transmission as of yet i want to re-use the front cv but may have to go with a mini truck drive shaft flanges. Is your 4l80e a 4x4 transmission if so have you cut down the rear output shaft you lucked out on the rear reluctor ring the transmission i have doesn't have it and i am looking at other options but haven't asked on here yet been doing my own research so if anyone knows of a way would be awsome to chime in. I have an extra spacer that i had made up its a little pricey but its nice.
Yeah it’s a 4x4 and lucky was rebuilt with a rear reluctor ring

Do people just eliminate the old charcoal canister vapor line or route it out the rear somewhere? Got the fuel system almost ready to go. Was going to use the original return and feed but stumped on what to do with the original vapor line.

F83CAC88-B176-4208-983A-D4D0EE2D40CA.jpeg

Got the motor positioned and mounts welded up too. Making good head way. Just need to rebuild the transfer case and figure out the front drive shaft problem and she’s going in to get a crossmember built

9556A591-79B9-4846-98B5-62C8E7FDF8F1.jpeg

Got the fuel lines connected and ran along with the harness wired in pretty easily without a hiccup. Today was a small victory

6C912336-7894-42FF-817D-14A2B7CF9CF6.jpeg

574E060F-0106-445F-9AC1-3B8EDB40D2D6.jpeg

02F3AC7C-06DE-4C3D-8A79-3C32E3B7AA36.jpeg

I am going to recommend that you change the rubber fuel lines out with new rubber ones or even better with rubber lines that are for fuel injection the old lines will collapse from the suction ask me how i know....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom