Builds Project Snowball ❄️ 85 FJ60 Cummins 4BT/ HX-30 SUPER/ NV4500/ SOA (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been reading about the FJ60 gas tank recall. Mine was done in the 90's. Does anybody know what the new tank is made out of. Switching it to diesel and don't want it to pose a problem with the tank.

I've been reading about the FJ60 gas tank recall. Mine was done in the 90's. Does anybody know what the new tank is made out of. Switching it to diesel and don't want it to pose a problem with the tank.
i reused the same tank from gas to diesel, no issues.

Energy suspension is a polyurethane manufacturer. I don't think you want poly mounts, i have poly mounts on my smooth running LS swap and there are vibes. The 4bt guys usually seek out fluid filled engine mounts.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume the fuel tanks are made of steel, since they rust.

I think this is what you want, but there's plenty of options.

Remember, the lower your idle is set, the more that paint shaker is gonna rattle. My 6 cyl can vibe pretty good if i idle at 600, so i usually bump my hand throttle up around 800. You WILL notice more with a 4 cylinder, and probably not want to idle any less than 8 or 900.

Screenshot_20180204-111135.jpg

As far as motor mounts go keep in mind that the 4bt is pretty heavy. So choose a mount built for the weight. Or if you have space you could get creative and span the mount across two mounts to spread the weight and vibration

I think this is what you want, but there's plenty of options.

Remember, the lower your idle is set, the more that paint shaker is gonna rattle. My 6 cyl can vibe pretty good if i idle at 600, so i usually bump my hand throttle up around 800. You WILL notice more with a 4 cylinder, and probably not want to idle any less than 8 or 900.

View attachment 1625984
Yeah I saw these from g-man and they are the way will go.

Big parts week so progress has been to a halt but this week we should begin the install. Going with HX35 turbo instead of the HX30. Good news is Advanced Adapters came through ahead of time :clap:and said their Dodge NV4500 29 spline adapter to 19 spline FJ60 transfer case is ready for shipment and now on its way, expected next week instead of March 22nd. Fluid filled motor mounts showed up. Exhaust manifold and turbo were picked up from a shop in Medford thanks to my 18 wheeler buddy Bryan who got them and saved me a 600 mile trip. The 6 cylinder style discharge will allow room for turbo clearances. Friends are getting super stoked to see this cruiser built.

IMG_8094.JPG

Last edited:
I'm sure you already did your homework, but in case you didn't know. It will take the hx35 a little longer to spool up than it would the hx30.

Beautiful job prepping the engine. Many guys would be content just tossing it in there, but it pays to be a bit OCD while you have everything apart. One of the advantages of wrenching yourself. Gonna be a long time (hopefully!) before you get the opportunity to make everything new-looking again.

Above is a picture of a customized 6BT to 4BT manifold. Either go this route or cut front and rear cylinders off.
Below is the stock manifold which puts turbo too tall in front or too close to firewall if put in back for down pipe. Next to the stock manifold is the 6BT manifold.

IMG_8095.PNG

IMG_8097.PNG

Last edited:
The exhaust manifold has been cut and turbo mounted to test fit. Now just need to weld the hole on the manifold, sand blast and paint. Disassemble turbo put in new seals, sand blast and paint. The adapter for the NV4500 to 60 transfer case arrived this evening.

IMG_8102.JPG

IMG_8103.JPG

IMG_8104.JPG

It may be my eyes, but it doesn't look like the hood would be able to close without hitting the turbo. Are you going to cut the hood and make a scoop for the turbo snail to fit, or are you going to mount the engine a bit low?

The turbo does look rather big in the photo prolly optical illusion. Should fit fine so we'll know in a couple more days. I guess this is why they are called custom builds.

Last edited:
The engine bay looks nice with the new paint but I've always preferred a lighter color in there so I can actually see things when I have to work in there. Also makes it easier to find leaks etc. Black and dark colored engine bays absorb all the light and its like looking into a cave.

The engine bay looks nice with the new paint but I've always preferred a lighter color in there so I can actually see things when I have to work in there. Also makes it easier to find leaks etc. Black and dark colored engine bays absorb all the light and its like looking into a cave.
If there is a leak it should be near or under the motor not on the wheel wells. I think the black is going to make the motor pop. Added another couple coats of paint today. My buddy and I had a few water emergencies with a leak and a house with no water from the well so wasn't able to get any other work done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom