'85 extra cab question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My dad has an 85 extra cab that has damage to the cab, which he wants to replace. He was wondering if the replacement had to be an extra cab or if a standard cab would fit. I told him i didnt know but that i would find out. I'm sure someone here knows. Thanks a lot!

An Xtra cab frame is just a bit longer, IIRC, like 8 inches or so. I suppose you could always bob the frame to make the bed fit if you were so inclined to put a std cab on the other frame. :cheers:

If you can find an '85 FSM on-line (I'm sure it's out there somewhere), there are detailed frame diagrams in the back, with dimensions, showing where all the mounts are.

You could put a reg cab on the extra cab frame, but the rear body mount will have to be moved forward, and you'll have to find a longbed to fill the gap at the back of the cab. Or you could slice about 8" out of the middle of the frame. But this will cause all sorts of other problems, like your driveshaft will be too long, as will the exhaust.

Once you have an Xtra cab, you will never want a reg cab. I will never own one again, that's for sure.

Once you have an Xtra cab, you will never want a reg cab. I will never own one again, that's for sure.

Yes, sir! There's no other way to roll. I'm 6'2" and I can't imagine getting into a reg cab. :cheers:

A standard cab will fit right on, you'll just have a space between the cab and bed. (H'mm storage space, spare tire maybe?)

It also doesn't have to be a cab from a 4WD, one from a 2WD is the same, you just have to cut a hole for the t-case shifter (yeah, I know, the fenders don't have the flare like the 4WD).

Thanks for the replys I'll let him know. He definately wont be bobbing the bed as this truck is really just a farm truck that we haul dirt compost topsoil etc in, just not the road we are goin down. Anyway, i'll let him know about the space that will occur if a standard cab is put on it, maybe he'll like that idea. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom