85 4runner w/ trans prblems HELP (1 Viewer)

I need some toy help. My 85 4Runner is winding really bad in the transmission. I am told that there is a bearing in there that goes bad so I need to rebuild it. Is there anyone out there who knows how to rebuild these or knows some one who does? I don't know how much longer it is going to last and as much as I would like to buy a new one it is hard to come up with that kind of $. Your help is greatly appreciated.

inkpot

SILVER Star

Trail Runner said:
I need some toy help. My 85 4Runner is winding really bad in the transmission. I am told that there is a bearing in there that goes bad so I need to rebuild it. Is there anyone out there who knows how to rebuild these or knows some one who does? I don't know how much longer it is going to last and as much as I would like to buy a new one it is hard to come up with that kind of $. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Howdy! Is it a stick or an auto? On the 5-speed stick, I have HEARD that the 5th gear bearings tend to wear fast due to being positioned a little higher in the case than the rest of them. When the gear grease gets just a little low, it runs dry and wears fast. My 85 P/U with 200,000 miles on it does whine a little in 5th, but not bad. Might try Mesa Driveline, on Southern, west of Mesa Dr. There is a dedicated Toyota repair shot somewhere in that same area, but I can't find it in the Yellow pages. I have also done business with Greg's Japanese Auto, on Chandler blvd, near Alma School, in Chandler. John

great, thanks for the advice. I ended up getting everything from Marlin. The new transmission and transfercase with 4.7 gears. It should make for an interesting time. If any one is willing my garage is always open new friends and cold beer. Wish me luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom