85 3b fan flew off w pic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alberta mac

addicted but not cured
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Last night I heard a chain sound coming from the engine, the engine light was on so I pulled over to have a look. The fan and pulley was laying inside the fan shroud.

I will have a look in the afternoon and see what I can find. I happen to have a water pump sitting on the shelf but will have to order a belt.
(the 3b has 580,000kms on it , a head was installed at 500,000km)
What are your thoughts ?
Cheers

IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

Looks like the shaft sheared.... holy crap, never seen that before.

I did get to it today, Yes the shaft sheared. (todays pic)
Also the water pump I found looks to have a smaller flange and studs ( pic ) wondering if the new water pump is for a different year 3B or B motor. ( anyone ? )
It hit me as pretty strange for this to happen but doesn't seem to have effected the motor that I have found yet.

IMG_2178.JPG

IMG_2180.JPG

IMG_2179.JPG

Wow ,lucky the radiator is ok.
Do you have a fluid coupling between the fan and water pump or is it bolted directly to the waterpump? Unbalanced fan?

I can see the pics now but I can't help on identifying the reason for the flange differences.

Maybe the old shaft broke because your belt was adjusted too tight (or maybe because it was weakened from someone forcing the belt into the sheaves without first slackening off the adjustment)?

:beer:

Thanks Tom I'll make sure I don't tighten the idler pulley too tight.
I talked to Dan at 4WheelAuto and he had never heard of the shaft snapping like that, I'll have the part tomorrow to put on.
''For into sheaves'' ah yes thats the quick way to install a belt ( that I usually install belts ) guess I should change my methods !!! : (
Thanks and on to better ways thanks to Mud.
photos to come on install...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom