84 wagon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all!.. I'm new here so go easy.. ! never owned a cruiser but have driven many.
This weekend I'm going to look at my mates 84 Landcruiser wagon with an eye to buying it (if he doesn't actually give it to me!) It's Royal Blue, has the roll out drawers in the back. The last time I drove it it was really good!, it drove nice and didn't wander or vibrate or rattle, he has had it for 10 years. Now, how do I know if its a 60 or 70?, on the compliance plate?.
It is unregistered and needs a rear brake job, the twin batteries are flat and probably stuffed, it will need new tyres, probably all new rubber hoses under the hood and the aircond might need doing..definately needs a paint job all over, I can see me replacing seals on the body, around the doors if they are stuffed. The engine will need some gaskets maybe as it is a little oily but didn't drop oil on his driveway.. might not be the case now tho.. it had a small amount of rust starting in the roof gutter at the back and a very small patch in the drivers door below the restraining strap mounting point but is otherwise straight and undamaged. What do I look for to help me make a decision to get it and not take on a monster of a project to get it nice n good again????. if I get it for nothing or nearly nothing, is it worth getting it back on the road?. My trade is a Mechanical Fitter so I will do most of the repairs it would need. We want something to tow our camper when we go bush and I don't see the point of buying a new or near new vehicle to do this sort of off roading.
Cheers
Dene:)

If you can get it for cheap, really really cheap, it would definitely be worth it to get back on the road. If you're doing most of the work than you'll save hundreds if not thousands in labor costs. And I wouldn't be too worried about getting her repainted if youre gonna be riding her all rough :D
Good luck!!

If it looks like the first pic below it's a 60 (and a damn nice one, I might add...)

If it looks like pic 2 it's a 70.
DSCI0330a.jpg
70.jpg

On your VIN plate it will have the code. It will have a few digits and numbers, (can't remember and don't feel like going outside haha) the an engine code and a chassis code. Mine says "3FJ62" which means its a 62 with a 3F engine in it. Hope I'm somewhat helpful...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom