'84 FJ60 Stock Radio Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, quick question for someone who knows car audio. My 60 has the original radio but no speakers. I am not 100% that the radio works since it didn't have speakers when I bought it but the seller said he thought it was in working shape.

If we assume the stock radio works fine, would there be any issues hooking up newer speakers? I'm looking at Infinity 529I 165W (Peak) 5-1/4 -Inch Two-Way Speakers.

A lot of friends tell me to replace the head unit but I think it looks really great with the original...if I can get it to work.

Any tips, tricks, or advice would be great.

There should be no issues with running newer speakers on the older deck. The most you would run into is that the deck is underpowered for the speakers and they will not get as "loud" as you would like or they are meant to handle. With the old units, there is no real way to run an amp that I can think of off hand to help with powering the speakers. That would be something for a true audiophile to answer.

There are adapters that convert the two radio leads to RCA jacks that will work with an amp.

Personally, I would keep the stock stereo and put an aftermarket one in a center console or the glove box..

Best of both worlds..

Isn't there one stock speaker in the dash?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom