84 FJ60 Stalling on slow/stop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Friends:

I've spent hours on here going through years of threads with folks who have had this problem but given how old some of them are I was wondering if anyone had any more recent experience with this. Have had this rig for a month now. Obviously had to get a bunch of work done to get it up and running right, including the clutch and steering repairs. Seemed to almost be there when on day 2 of picking it up from the shop and driving around town a few hours, I ended up having it stall on me at a stop light. Was able to get home by keeping RPMs up at lights but now trying to work with my mechanic on addressing what could be going on. Seems like it doesn't want to idle at start after the Choke is pushed back in whereas previously I didn't even need to Choke to start. Of course, as soon as it gets to the shop... it idles fine. So, now we're stumped.

From what I can gather here the order of things to check would start with the idle solenoid >> vacuum leaks >> carb.

In CA and need to get this thing smogged eventually so trying to think through all of this with that reality in mind.

Figured I would see if any other 60 folks have recently had this. Separately chasing down a stronger than I would expect fuel odor in the cabin and saw some threads here where the cutting out could be a sticking EGR valve but can't find anyone confirming. Wondering if those two things are related.

I'll keep digging around but wanted to send up a flare. Definitely slowly and painfully entering into the community here...

Quick check on the idle solenoid is just to unplug it when the truck is running. If the truck dies its a good chance its working fine.....should be able to here it click with the key on if you disconnect and reconnect the plug to it.

I did a full desmog of my truck this summer and starting was improved and it was running really well for a while. During the desmog process I found a lot of small issues and fixed them. Now I struggle to start and it wont idle properly unti the engine is really warmed up....like it has to be up to operating temp for quite a few miles before it will hold an idle. I'm pretty much due for a carb rebuild and a manifold reseal. Both of which I have been holding off because I am not ready to hole the truck up and take it apart. I'm also holding out for a 3fe I found and I want to build a 2fe....so...we will see.

Get a vacuum gauge and a 5 foot length of vacuum hose and route it through the firewall into the cab. Prop up the gauge so you can see it while driving. Start engine and view gauge. If it idles fine, note what the vacuum is. If it starts sputtering later, see what the vacuum is. If it's low, it probably IS a sticking EGR valve

Im thinking the vacuum leak too. Thats the issue that Im dealing with now. Drives fine until you come to a stop and then it just dies when you press on the brake and clutch. Give it a little choke and then it fires back up. Its a riddle.

Im thinking the vacuum leak too. Thats the issue that Im dealing with now. Drives fine until you come to a stop and then it just dies when you press on the brake and clutch. Give it a little choke and then it fires back up. Its a riddle.
That could be your brake booster too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom