'84 FJ60 Landcruiser will crank but will not start while hot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 84 FJ60 that will crank but will not start if it is hot. I've replaced the following components:

- Fuel Filter
- Charcoal canister
- Fuel pump

with no success. I decided to segment the fuel line to narrow the problem down. I have narrowed it down to the fuel pump (the new fuel pump). With all the lines off the pump, I had my wife crank the engine while feeling the input...nothing. Because it is the same symptoms as before, I don't suspect the new fuel pump.

Is this a problem with the crankshaft?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
cojoclem

Last edited:
If I understood you right, you broke the fuel line at the carburetor and did not get gas coming out when you cranked the engine. You said NEW fuel pump. Did you use the thick "isolator" gasket? That's a must. Other thoughts: clogged fuel filter, clogged line, out of gas.

Yep, I broke the line down at the carburetor and at the pump.

The fuel pump came with two gaskets, I only used one gasket. Could that cause the problem?

If your gasket is not about 1/4 inch thick, you need to get one.

Thanks for the advice. I just ordered 3 gaskets from Schucks (if they are not 1/4 thick I'll double/triple them up). I'll install it this week and test the pump.

I think you really need the spacer, not just a couple of gaskets. Without the spacer I think you run the risk of breaking the pump.
fuel pump 02.jpg
fuel pump 03.jpg

Make sure your gas cap is venting, some pressure in the tank is normal, if there is a vacuum, your cap isn't venting. Also check your carb fan for proper operation after you sort out the fuel pump thing.

Thanks for your helpfull advice. Your posts saved me from having to bring my crusier in.

I pulled the fuel pump and sure enough, the arm broke off. I had to drop the oil pan to get it.

The oil pan is reinstalled with a new gasket. I installed a new pump with a spacer (thanks for the pic above). The cruiser is working great thanks to Heartworm and *2mbb

And thanks to the last post by lehiguy, I now understand my original problem. The problem was that my 84 landcrusier had a 79 fuel pump mounted on the engine block. The 79 fuel pump had an input and an output, no return (when I installed the new fuel pump the first time, I didn't think much of it so I never mentioned it above). My 84 Landcruiser needed a return line. The line, it turns out, was blanked off. Without the return line, it was creating a vacuum in the tank making it that much more difficult for the fuel pump to move gas to the carb.

I have a 1984 fj 60 that is very hard to start after driving. Its as if its vapor locked or flooded. It willing start after excessive attempts, the carb cooling fan is working. There is also back pressure in the fuel tank. Any help would be greatly apprciated? Thank you for taking the time read this.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom