'84 FJ60 Front Drive Shaft Seal Missing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After I replaced my tie rod ends this weekend, I lubed the new joints and then went on to lube other points in the chassis. When I tried to lube the front drive shaft, I discovered the seal on the end of the shaft is missing. I am thinking I should probably rebuild the shaft and replace that seal. I cannot find any posts about part numbers for the rebuild. Any suggestions?

I was pumping and pumping and pumping, waiting for the shaft to extend ever so slightly. So much grease wasted, pouring out onto the u-joint. Bad angle laying on the floor that I didn't see it until it was too late.

Thanks,
Bob

Land Cruiser drive shafts rarely wear out the splines, unless they have a ton of miles or were neglected. In spite of your driveshaft missing the end plug, are the splines tight? To grease it, you may want to remove the shaft and ujoint and temporarily plug the end of the driveshaft so that you can force grease through the splines. You could also just pull the splines apart, apply grease to the male portion, and slide it back together.

After I replaced my tie rod ends this weekend, I lubed the new joints and then went on to lube other points in the chassis. When I tried to lube the front drive shaft, I discovered the seal on the end of the shaft is missing. I am thinking I should probably rebuild the shaft and replace that seal. I cannot find any posts about part numbers for the rebuild. Any suggestions?

I was pumping and pumping and pumping, waiting for the shaft to extend ever so slightly. So much grease wasted, pouring out onto the u-joint. Bad angle laying on the floor that I didn't see it until it was too late.

Thanks,
Bob
it appears that you and I have the same problem. At least you had one person reply, lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom