84 fj60 carby hold down studs causing throttle to stick? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Currently trying to workout what is causing my throttle to stick on, once carby is on the bench it’s free as it possibly can be but once I bolt it down back to manifold it’s sticking on.
I have narrowed it down to when the nuts get tightened it causes it to play up.
Has anyone else come across this ?
Just about to burn this 2f motor give me a 2h/12ht anyday

3CCC94B6-5A95-4A39-952A-ECB93F249D12.jpeg

742FAAA8-D0AA-4E02-A9F3-92ED44AA5C1B.jpeg

Disconnect the throttle linkage and see if it moves freely

Those are good suggestions above. I dealt with this off and on with my 2F carb, and there are likely a lot of ways sticking can happen... here’s what was going on with mine:

1. non-oem throttle/accelerator return spring. Having the correct spring seems to matter a lot. I had a non-stock spring that was really close, but it was not good enough. Even a good used oem spring is better (they are NLA). I found a good used for $10. I would bet they are floating around in AUS like they are here.

2. Make sure the hanger/spring attachment arm for the return spring (on the carb) is plumb and level. This arm gets bent easily when the carb is off the engine and even a slight bend can cause sticking. Mine was bent back a little and I never really noticed it til I had the carb off to get rebuilt. Then when the carb came back from the rebuilder, it was REALLY bent thanks to FedEx. Pictures below are for dramatic effect but the point is that even a little bend can cause problems.

It should look like this

AB19BC03-7510-4DD6-9702-723E3F39DF5F.jpeg

It should not look like this or even half way to this:

AA7C4222-E2C5-49D7-B660-9C8002D675DC.jpeg

the second pic was from damage in shipping back from the rebuilder. The first pic with the TIG weld is what had to be done once that piece was bent back and almost snapped.

Hope this helps-

the OP has a RHD rig, so I assume it is cable linkage????
diisconnect the cable from the carb and see if it slides smoothly
try the linkage at the carb and see if it moves smoothly
is there anything around the gas pedal that could be affecting return travel

the OP has a RHD rig, so I assume it is cable linkage????
diisconnect the cable from the carb and see if it slides smoothly
try the linkage at the carb and see if it moves smoothly
is there anything around the gas pedal that could be affecting return travel
Good eye. I didn’t catch that little detail on the booster location. Maybe would have seen in computer vs phone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom