84-85 vs 86-88 ARB/TJM front bumpers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SFA frames are 1.5" higher at the front x-member than IFS frames.

I found the picture I was looking for.

Red line represents the bottom of the frame.

Front is right around 1.5"

Rear is real close, at about .875" lower than an 85.

All measurements were measured from the body mount.

measurements were compared to the factory frame diagrams, and confirmed.
Frameheight.jpg
FrameRedLine.jpg

Last edited:
Just buy an ARB for an 86 through 89 and be done with your thinking.

does that come with your STAMP of approval based on REAL world experience? :flipoff2:

i just could not bring myself to purchase a tube bumper for the front.

yeah i just got a real good price on one from one of the vendors on mud.

thanks.

does that come with your STAMP of approval based on REAL world experience? :flipoff2:

i just could not bring myself to purchase a tube bumper for the front.

yeah i just got a real good price on one from one of the vendors on mud.

thanks.

Well there's one on the front of my 85 if that qualifies for the REAL world. Haven't killed any deer with it yet but then none have jumped out in front of me...

I have an arb on the front of my 87'. I try and post you some pics soon. I had a great deal of time getting it mounted. mounting the warn 8000lb winch inside the bumper was a royal pain in the ass.
I really like the bumper but feel that I would go a different route if I did it all over again. One of my issues with it is the fairlead prohibits any sort of pushing. If you smack something hard with the front bumper, tree, another truck etc. you will most likely damage the fairlead. I would try and find a TJM bumper and ditch the arb. One note on the arb; they never made a model for our trucks (86 and later). It is merely a 85 and earlier bumper. mounting is not overly complex but a pita non the less.

I don't like the tube style stuff much either but they do have better clearance than any solid style bumper. good luck and don't forget the shipping charges.

I bought a TJM T-17 10 years ago for my 85 4runner with the intention of mounting on my 95 4runner later. I have it on the 95 now and its not an ideal fit. It only uses 3 (each side) of the bracket bolts to the frame instead of the 4 on the 85 frame. Also sits about an inch lower than ideal, so it looks a little weird. However, with money tight, I will go with it for now. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom