84 2L diesel excessive fuel consumption (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought an 84 2L diesel 4x4 ext cab. Its quite hard on fuel compared to other 1 and 2 "L" trucks I have driven and owned, including a 2LT.
Its also smoking black more than it should.
Fuel filter is new along with air filter. Compression is great., breaks are not dragging. Injectors and pump have never been done. Truck has 250,000km on it.
What can I look for to improve mileage? Could the pump timing be out? im thinking maybe a little too advance with all the black smoke....

Pump timing was going to be my guess but just a guess since I don't own any diesel Toyota's myself. My dad has an "L" truck and after he had his pump rebuilt he had to turn it down some because it was acting similar to what you are mentioning.

Perhaps I will. Thank-you anyways gents!

Turn the fuel screw back (counter clockwise) a quarter turn.. Excessive fueling will cause poor mpg. Fuel screw is right above the stop solenoid.

Remember, doing this you will experience a slight loss in power.

Timing should be performed with a dial indicator or a tach n time. If you were to adjust I would maybe retard it a tad.. Old nozzles in the injectors will "pop" or inject sooner which essentially advance the injection cycle.

Good luck!

If it's bellowing out smoke all the time, fuel problem, otherwise underload could be a turbo problem. What kind of KMs do you get per tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom