83 pick up Suspension options.. OME questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys i havent posted here in a while but this is where my Toyota love turned into obsession!!

i have my 80 series. i have my 03 DC 4x4 tacoma and am pretty much done building it. just need my aluminium Front bumper form relentless ( waiting for him to offer them again).
and i got all my info from this site and my trucks turned out great! thanks to all your suggestions and help!

now i picked up a 83 toyota pick 4x4 sr5 witht the 22r motor up. and dont see much info or options on aftermarket suspension. i know that they make 3 or 4 inch lift springs for them but i dont want to lift it that much. i want to keep it as close to stock height as possible. but it has a tired old suspension. i saw that old man emu made springs for these trucks. and was wandering if any body had any experiences or suggestions on them. i see that they say 0-2 inches of lift. and that there is a light med and heavy spring rates. now does the light springs not lift it at all and the heavy's are 2 inches, with mediums being in the middle and 1 inch? i just want to better understand and get some opinions on the OME leaf springs before i pull the trigger. thanks in advance for any help!!

The OME stuff is great, I have had it on all 3 of my leaf spring Cruisers and am doing the heavy springs for my 1st Gen 4runner.

The difference in height is with the lights, it sits at normal ride height at the stock weight, with the mediums or heavies, it rides higher at stock weight. Once you start adding armor and other junk to your truck, the added weight will compress the springs back to closer to normal ride height.

So, if you are keeping it stock, the lights will give you stock-ish ride height. If you plan on adding bumpers, sliders, winch, RTT on the bed, etc... then you may want to look into mediums or heavies, depending on how crazy you are going to get with the mods or load out for the trails.

I recently installed a complete OME kit on my 84. Very happy with the results. I was told that the light springs are no longer available.

This is what it looked like with stock suspension and stock sized tires.

hilux.jpg

This is what it looks like with the OME suspension and 33s.

truck-fall.jpg

BTW, I forgot to add that I went with the mediums in front and back. I didn't measure. Also went to 33s simultaneously as part of the suspension swap. So I can't say how much lift the mediums added.

I have Heavys in the front, Mediums in the rear. The fronts have pretty much had it, but there's over 100K on them, most of that with a heavy bumper and winch. The rears are still doing fine, but I was greasing them last night and found a BUNCH of rust between the leafs. I'm probably gonna replace everything next summer, will likely just go with OMEs again since I know they will fit and I don't wanna be doing any fab work.

I wonder if Northwest off road is still around and if so if they still make a 2 inch spring kit? Of course who knows who actually makes their springs but I had one of their 3.5" lift spring packages on an 82 20-25 years ago and was surprised how well it rode. I really liked the Downey springs I had on another solid axle truck I had back then too. But I'm sure there aren't any more of those left now.

Oh and I love that double cab.

Wanted to keep it as stock as possible :)
So I guess the light springs would work. Not planning on adding any weight to the truck. Does OME they make add a leafs for these trucks? I have the add a leaf on my dakars for my 1 gen tacoma.

Wanted to put 32's on the truck how is the power difference from 31's. 31's are on the truck now. Can't find any info on 32's either

Here is how the truck looks.
686e9291df4a04d184e52771c538df45_zps3e3d1f92.jpg

db3c8c4ed6e72bc8f9f6d11a083267e0_zpsa1d07342.jpg

6a8632d0281a6c2f2f50828117f6ee3f_zpsb6b2941a.jpg

764c82953c4a28f911481add583a78bb_zps86ff88b6.jpg

764c82953c4a28f911481add583a78bb_zps86ff88b6.jpg

I think it looks good as is, and would run it that way with 31's. Do you haul good sized loads regularly, and experience too much sag in those conditions? NW offroad has 2 inch lift springs, including an option for rear overloads for those looking for more weight carrying capacity. You could also have Alcan make a custom set of springs for you.

i dont carry heavy loads constantly but do go camping often and dont want it to be sagging on the trails

I like the way it looks as-is too. Man I miss my 82. I went from stock tires on that truck to 33's and it was completely gutless with stock 4:10 gears. I experienced similar power loss going to 32's on another similar truck back in the day. OK around town but on the highway any kind of grade made 5th gear useless. But 4:88's and 33's get along real well. And a good header makes a big difference too. NWOR used to sell a "distributor recurve kit" for the old carbureted trucks too. Basically just a different spring for the advance mechanism. Me and a few of my friends used them back in the day and were pleased with the results.

My 82 truck has the med OME and Love it. much better ride! also I have put over a ton in it several times its funny watching the guy load it cause it travels so far :).. mine came to about 2 inches above stock plus I have a 2 inch body lift

Nice truck. Im thinking about getting OME's for my 91 pickup and was wondering how much they ran you? Unfortunately since I live in a tiny apartment with limited parking I will have to take it to a shop for the install. Unless someone in the Denver are wants to lend a hand?

ya ill probably stay 31's then because i don't want to re gear right now. plus i have to do the clutch and some other stuff that came up on the truck power steering and i need Sounds in all my vehicles lol. is there any like pic threads with lifts and tire sizes for these pick ups. interested in seeing a ome lift with 31's on these old pick ups.

and as for my lift on my tacoma my whole lift for my 03 cost me around 1800 in parts but i did the labor my self. i got my OME leafs on amazon free shipping to hawaii!! about 300 total for both was stoked!

Here's a stock picture of an '87. Regearing wasn't an issue with the lift having 4.56 gears.

Here's a picture of OME 2.5" lift in the same truck on 33s
Truck behind has a shackle lift (rode like sh*t) and stock tires

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom