83 FJ60 starting problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
howdy..

finally was ble to pick up 83 yesterday and only issue I am having is starting. if you use a few drops of starter fluid it fires right up, then runs fine for hours, no i ssue. yes i drove it a few hours already. not starter or electric related.

thinking its the choke cable, inop.. pulled lever and nothing happens at carb. also working with @cruiseroutfit guys to get a carb rebuild kit now that I have the carb #.

probably way overthinking this on my end being new 60 owner.. everything seems fine, even the AM radio except this issue. oh, and the decade+ old tubed tires on split rims.

anyway, thanks for any responses or comments. will order new choke cable as soon as I can find one that ships to APO.

Check the FSM for choke cable location and make sure its attached, Also pump the gas pedal before cranking

Congratulations. I don't know how familiar you are with carbuertors. For a cold start, you need to pump the accelerator pedal two to four times. You may also need to close the choke, but in my experience the accelerator pumps gets you the start and the choke keeps it running while cold.

For hot starts you press the pedal once, and hold it to the floor until the engine catches. This helps prevent the engine form getting flooded when it's hot.

This is described in the owners manual.

I find if I don't drive my truck for a week or longer, I have to crank it some to refill the carburetor bowl with fuel. But if I'm driving consistently these procedures work well.

1661442682182.png

The choke cable should be connected to the carburetor linkage on the back (firewall side) of the carburetor. There was a recent thread showing where it goes. I grabbed the photo below from that thread. The end of the choke cable connects to the linkage as shown (red circle). The cable housing also needs to be secured in the bracket (green circle). If the housing is not held tight, pulling on the choke knob may just move the housing and not the cable.

1661443101258.png

thanks for responses. truck is turned on for a few weeks getting baselined and painted. changing all fluids, tune up kit along with a new choke cable and carb rebuild kit from @cruiseroutfit

considering options on paint currently. grey is looking good, but for now, 033 it is.

this is my 4th LC with carb, so know all about pumping the gas. choke cable doesnt engage anything, didn't have tools to tinker with here, so took it to shop. paint shop also has good mechanic.

about pumping gas. imported FJ70 and FZJ80 from middle east, port calls and says they won't start. listed on phone, then told guy to pump the gas, they are not fuel injected.... both fired right up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom