83 FJ60 Sitting in Corn Field. Tach Surprise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I found a FJ60 in a corn field. Was sitting there for five years. 1K and she is home for a father son project car. We tackled the plugs, fuel filter, hoses together and struggled with the idle. Finally got the old girl purring but the tach read 2K. Farmer here and I know damn well she was running at 1k tops. Looked at our boy and said, "Get the Hotsy", "Lets clean her up while we ponder this". Degrease, spray, get Dad wet. Fired her up and the tach is showing 1K and working! Humming at 2500 at 60 which seems high. My question is should I idle her down a notch and how did a hotsy spray job fix the tach?
Duke Magnum

2500 RPM at 60mph is normal for the stock 225/75R15 tires

^^^ was he said. These truck were made and delivered from Japan when the USA had a nationwide speed limit of 55 mph. So we got 4 speeds and Canada and the rest of the world got 5 speeds.

650 rpms is what you need to set low idle screw at. 1800 for the high ide (with the choke pulled)

Not sure how power washing your engine helped the tach. I guess you may have had a loose electrical connection and you bumped a wire?

Pictures?

That was a short lived fix. Idle is stuck at 2K now. Running warm as well. We took her out on some dirt roads. 55 plus and then thru it into neutral. Tach kicks all the way down and then stalls. Checked for leaks around the carb with brake cleaner and found some small ones on the back side. Checked the idle selinoid and she clicks. Got the old girl back to the shed and the tach is back to 900 idle. Any thoughts?

Whats the fuel filter look like now? Thinking maybe there is something stuck in the carb fuel bowl that is floating around then clogging the jets? Two plugs on the front of the carb under the window should be able to be easily pulled and allow you to rinse out the fuel bowl.

Float on the fuel bowl could also be getting stuck causing her to want to randomly idle weird. Then check to make sure that the dizzy is secured in place and not deciding to rotate slightly while you are driving.

If you haven't already, check my sig line for the FSM links and start going through things. Nice Save!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom