83' FJ60 Radio Installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so i decide to replace the stereo in my truck and get rid of the cassette player that was in there. Thinking this was an easy job like most stereo installations are i was in for a rude awakening. I pull the old stereo out and the rear adapter that has the wiring for the speakers was completely different then what my CD player uses. The color of the wires is different as well. Can someone tell me what color does what? I am use to black wires, white wires, grey wires, grey/white wires. And the wires that are back there now are purple, yellow, red, blue. If i know what wires do what i can install a new adaptor and get my CD player running.

Thanks

FJ60 radio install is a BITCH, mostly because of the unit but the wiring is totally off. Factory uses a common ground for both wires while aftermarket uses seperate grounds (better) for each speaker. I tried using common grounds and it made it sound like sh**. I would wire the whole thing from scratch if possible or take a 12+ that is always on from the fuse box, as well as an accessory to turn it off and on with the ignition. But it is easier to start from scratch...

i've just finished installing a cd player speakers subs etc etc in a fj60 , Behind the old stereo youll find a constant power wire , and a accessorys wire , plus a ground , as for speaker wire you pretty much have to run new wiring , there are gromets through all doors to accomodate this and the front doors will easily house a set of 6 1/2 inch splits or standard speakers . As for mounting the head unit i have just used the standard mounts for the old radio but twisted them 90 degrese then made some right angle brackets that screw onto the head unit and with the surrounds off you can just fit the screw drive through and attach them to the original bracket . If you would like any pictures please let me know on Joelhogan@dodo.com.au . other than that on a friends fj60 we romoved the dash and made custom brackets up to mount it . his took 4 hours mine took about 30 mins .

dieselcruiserhead said:
Factory uses a common ground for both wires while aftermarket uses seperate grounds (better) for each speaker. I tried using common grounds and it made it sound like sh**.

Just did an install on my 87 HJ60 and am having bad static above have volume. You think this is due to the shared grounds on the speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom