83 FJ60 Oil Plug/gasket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched around some and can not find the part number or a link to a OEM (or even an after market) Oil Pan plug and gasket. Mine has a slight leak and would like to order one before I have to change my oil again. Any after market suggestions or where to find an OEM one? I know this is small an trivial but important!

I use this plug for everything. It works for the oil pan, transfer case, transmission, diffs... I think they are all M18x1.25 plugs.

They’re low profile and will not hang up or get smashed when you go off-road. They are also magnetic, unlike the original plug.

The crush washers are for the diffs, and cases. Steel for the diffs, aluminum for the t-case, etc... I actually use a regular old rubber o-ring on the oil pan and it hasn’t leaked a drop.

Here’s a pic I found on the internet. I think the part numbers are probably correct. I’d still verify.

4A07586C-79EC-4F62-B1C0-67E7ED5844AE.jpeg

Something to think about - if your oil pan is original, the plug above is great. I used one for years. The fact that it works across the diffs and tcase is a bonus.

But if the pan has been replaced with new OEM semi-recently, the drain plug size will be different (smaller). My replacement OEM oil pan, purchased new from CDan in 2012, has the smaller plug similar to 2000s-era LCs, Tundras and Tacos (and possibly many more toyotas). Don't know the exact pitch but the head is 14mm. Take a look before you buy anything. Big head = old, little head = new.

Are you sure it's the plug and not just a bad plug gasket? Also, check to make sure the oil isn't coming from somewhere else and "presenting" at the plug.

If your cheap like me and can’t wait you can simply add a ring of rtv to the plug, screw it up loosely and tighten further in 15/20 mins and you’ll have made your own gasket. After an hour or so tighten more and your set.

Like said above... often the rock shield welded to the bottom of the pan will rust between. Oil will seep to lowest point which is the plug. That was the case w/ my old truck hence why I have a pan in my garage... hopefully I’ll be able to put on this truck when the weather warms.

It's not uncommon for a 15 year old "tech" at jiffy lube to over torque these plugs. you'll notice that there's a little groove cut out of the female threads to help the last drips leave the pan, which offers no support to the sealing flange. if you over torque the plug then that flange deforms and you no longer have a good sealing surface. a good search would reveal pictures of this. This is one of the many reasons I do my own work even down to the simple stuff like oil changes. before replacing my pan I solved this by buying a oil pan plug with a valve integrated into it, and I installed it with rtv like @NeverGiveUpYota mentioned. Worked pretty slick and didn't protrude farther than the 17mm (I did put a clamp on it so that it woudn't snag and accidentally open). Once it was in I never took it out, just open it up to let the oil out.

Something to think about - if your oil pan is original, the plug above is great. I used one for years. The fact that it works across the diffs and tcase is a bonus.

But if the pan has been replaced with new OEM semi-recently, the drain plug size will be different (smaller). My replacement OEM oil pan, purchased new from CDan in 2012, has the smaller plug similar to 2000s-era LCs, Tundras and Tacos (and possibly many more toyotas). Don't know the exact pitch but the head is 14mm. Take a look before you buy anything. Big head = old, little head = new.

Are you sure it's the plug and not just a bad plug gasket? Also, check to make sure the oil isn't coming from somewhere else and "presenting" at the plug.

Thank you for that explanation. My oil drain plug is 12mm and I never knew why.

Off @60 toy ota's comment... I have a different issue altogether with the hole on my pan. Its has this strange gap in it. Appears to be there on purpose. And almost like there is something squishy set in the rectangular gap to help make the plug have a tighter seat?
Also off this post, I'd love to see a side by side of the pre 85 pan and a post 85? anyone have one? @OSS, can you get your hands on one easily?

IMG_7516.JPG

The later updated pan looks very similar to the old pan except that the drain hole on the new one is smaller and the depth of the rear arch that seals around the back of the engine is shallower and the back end of the pan has been strengthened with additional "ripples" in it.

New pan
image.jpeg

Like said above... often the rock shield welded to the bottom of the pan will rust between. Oil will seep to lowest point which is the plug. That was the case w/ my old truck hence why I have a pan in my garage... hopefully I’ll be able to put on this truck when the weather warms.

This was happening on my old pan, and like you say, it drips from the plug. It wasn't til I read about the rock shield here on Mud that I figured out what was going on.

When I finally pulled the old pan, there was RTV inside, dabbed on all of the tack welds that hold the rock shield in place. So the PPO, I think, had tried to fix and it held for a few years at least. I kept it for a while, thinking I could just re-weld it and have a backup, but finally gave it away.

Sometimes the pan can be slightly deformed at the drain hole, like a small crease or dimple along/near the edge of the hole. It happened on one of my FJ60s. I worked the crease out and the problem was solved.

I have the original oil pan and there wasn't a gasket when I changed the oil after getting it from the previous owner so of course it slowly leaked. I went to the local Napa and of course the gaskets are hard to come by. The part is $1.00 but shipping is $15.00 but they had a plug with gasket available for $6.00 so I went ahead and got it. My question is is the gasket looks to be plastic of sorts and the ones I'm seeing online are synthetic or fiber looking. Will I be ok using it? Thanks

Will I be ok using it?

Yes. Just keep an eye on it.
The Toyota gasket is fiber. Mine lasted 20 years- same gasket.
Next time you drive by a Toyota dealership, order a few of them and pick them up in a few days.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I will just wait to get a fiber gasket.

I tried a fiber Dorman gasket and it leaked as well. Maybe I will give the plastic one a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom