83 FJ60 more new owner questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello again I've been driving my 83 FJ60 pretty steady for 2 weeks now and I love it. The few issues that have cropped up are:

manifold leak so Instead of trying to repair it I want to put a header on
I saw this one, has anyone had any experience with this header.? the price is right

Performance Header Toyota Land Cruiser 1F 2F FJ40 FJ60 - JoeTLC

clutch slave cylinder easy fix

the only thing that has me a bit worried is a strange vibration coming from underneath at highway speeds. sounds like a driveshaft vibration or something only in 4th gear on the highway at like 65. I don't drive it any faster than that.
any thoughts/? remember its an 83 with 71000 orig miles sat for a long time.
some friends and I dropped a whole drive shaft up in Maine once on a and old Ford van It was memorable to say the least mainly because I was driving. There was a vibration for a while leading up to the thing falling off.

heater stinks bad I was wondering if there is a way to clean out the heater somehow. smells very funky. I've been trying to just blast the heat as much as possible to try and work out the stink its better but still there. Would flushing out the heater core help at all.

once again thanks in advance this site is awesome and I love driving the 60 around I'm having a blast with it stink and all......

james

PS I still need a decent brn drivers seat if anyone has one to sell

"manifold leak so Instead of trying to repair it I want to put a header on
I saw this one, has anyone had any experience with this header.? the price is right"

I don't know much about that header. Most people endorse the Man-a-fre header.

Do you need to be SMOG compliant? That may play a role (whether or not you the the EGR downpipe and other items).

Use the felpro or Remflex intake and exhaust gaskets (see the FAQ at the top of the 60 forum).

"clutch slave cylinder easy fix"

Be sure you use OEM Toyota parts if you plan to keep it a while, and replace the clutch master at the same time.

"the only thing that has me a bit worried is a strange vibration coming from underneath at highway speeds. sounds like a driveshaft vibration or something only in 4th gear on the highway at like 65."

There's a lot of possibilities here from front axle bearings, knuckle bearings, u-joints, tires out of balance, transfer case wear, rear differential problems. Start with the basics- a good front to back inspection, and go from there. There are about 1,000 vibration threads on here.

Good luck and welcome! Let's see some pics.

x2 on Hank14s comments

As far as the stink goes, cleaning out the heater core wont help. Smell isn't coming from inside the core. Mostlikely it's coming from the mice nests in the heater box. No fun to take apart, but better than stink, IMHO.

wow is there any write up on how to take heater box apart? I think that sounds right on the money

heres a pict

heres the rig
LCside2-09.jpg

Great looking rig..

FSM shows how to do it. Lots of work . Don't know of any posts on it, but I bet there is. Go to search threads section.

Start early & be prepared to stay late. Good luck.

Not much help with your heater issue - but as far as your seat goes there might be a quick fix. You can swap out the passenger and drivers seat - on my list of things to do (my LONG list of things to do)!

There is a thread on here somewhere about it but I think you just unbolt and the seats swap and rebolt - voila, no more tear in the drivers seat. Mine isn't totally toast yet so I am holding out. Plus, I have some SWEET Hotwheels seat covers that the PO had in when I bought it.

Hope that helps,

j.

i just did a remflex gasked on my 87 - great product. worth the extra $. mud member is selling them at a discount too! search remflex - iron cross or something like that.

I would just swap the gasket and keep it stock if i were you. Unless you are doing other engine work to make the header work in conjunction w/ higher flow...

either way - nice truck (though not blue...) and good luck!

rob

i just did a remflex gasked on my 87 - great product. worth the extra $. mud member is selling them at a discount too! search remflex - iron cross or something like that.

I would just swap the gasket and keep it stock if i were you. Unless you are doing other engine work to make the header work in conjunction w/ higher flow...

either way - nice truck (though not blue...) and good luck!

rob

iron_giant ;). At the risk of getting into a passionate header debate, I tend to agree that on a smogged or stock engine the benefits of a header are relatively small. If you are building a motor and have gone through the head and block, or are de-smogged then the header will help the engine do what it is now designed to do. A de-smog and a header does help performance and if that is the route you are thinking of going then a header may well be worth the investment.

Leaks tend to happen for two main reasons. The first is overall warping from heat and cooling cycles. This is important concerning the 2F where the head and exhaust are a different material from the intake and sealing is left to one large gasket. The differences in expansion between the metals eventually take their toll on the gasket and it fails to seal the differences properly. A new motor of same materials typically doesn't need an exhaust gasket as the machining is precise. Formula One engines, for example, use no gaskets.

The second is movement of the exhaust manifold stressing the gaskets. Turbos are often supported not only by the manifold itself, but by the block as well to restrict movement due to the heavy weight of the unit and manifold "bending loads" when heated beyond 900 degrees. This is especially the case when the unit is a fair distance from the manifold and the extra support helps to prevent leaks in the gasket and cracks in the manifold. Any "walking" of the manifold will trash any gasket. This is one reason why torquing a manifold is critical, as it distributes a tension evenly across the studs maintaining the manifolds position.

Last edited:
Hello again I've been driving my 83 FJ60 pretty steady for 2 weeks now and I love it. The few issues that have cropped up are:

manifold leak so Instead of trying to repair it I want to put a header on
I saw this one, has anyone had any experience with this header.? the price is right

Performance Header Toyota Land Cruiser 1F 2F FJ40 FJ60 - JoeTLC

clutch slave cylinder easy fix

the only thing that has me a bit worried is a strange vibration coming from underneath at highway speeds. sounds like a driveshaft vibration or something only in 4th gear on the highway at like 65. I don't drive it any faster than that.
any thoughts/? remember its an 83 with 71000 orig miles sat for a long time.
some friends and I dropped a whole drive shaft up in Maine once on a and old Ford van It was memorable to say the least mainly because I was driving. There was a vibration for a while leading up to the thing falling off.

heater stinks bad I was wondering if there is a way to clean out the heater somehow. smells very funky. I've been trying to just blast the heat as much as possible to try and work out the stink its better but still there. Would flushing out the heater core help at all.

once again thanks in advance this site is awesome and I love driving the 60 around I'm having a blast with it stink and all......

james

PS I still need a decent brn drivers seat if anyone has one to sell
Did you end up buying that header from JoeTLC? I'm considering buying one from them for my 87 FJ60, but I wonder if the price is a "get what you pay for" deal.

If you are not required to have the smog stuff, a desmog and a header will really help simplify things in addition to helping the engine run better. I've done a few, and I'm always astonished at the size of the pile of junk that comes off. Heat is not a problem. The less restrictive the exhuast, the less heat buildup you will have.

6 into 1 headers are not the best units out there. They tend to leak more than other more expensive (better made) units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom