83 FJ60 Fuel Tank Removal (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am having an issue with getting fuel into the fuel pump. There is air in the system and I think there is rust in the lines. I also think the lines above the tank have collapsed. The truck will run fine for a bit, and then it is starving for fuel.
We are going to drop the tank, but I want see if anyone on here has a pictorial or tips that we can use. Also, can the metal lines be replaced with rubber? Where can I buy parts? Cruiser Corps doesn't list any.
If we drop the tank, we are going to have it coated as well.

This is so frustrating, I thought I was 99% done with the truck and now this happens!! UGH!!

Why do you blow compressed air through the hard lines. Clears them out!
Replace all your rubber lines leading and coming out of the tank.
Have the cleaned out professionally. Clean out the pick up tube or replace it.

X2, Exactly what I did. Once the tabk is dropped, fill the hard lines with a solvent from the engine compartment and blow.

X2, Exactly what I did. Once the tabk is dropped, fill the hard lines with a solvent from the engine compartment and blow.
The issue is how to drop the tank. Is it an easy job? Does it use regular bolts? Where can I buy replacement straps?

Drain the tank via drain bolt. Disconnect the sending unit through the cargo floor. Disconnect all the lines. Drop the 2 straps and remove the tank. The straps should not need to be replaced. Replace all soft lines, sending unit, pick up, and associated gaskets.

Drain the tank via drain bolt. Disconnect the sending unit through the cargo floor. Disconnect all the lines. Drop the 2 straps and remove the tank. The straps should not need to be replaced. Replace all soft lines, sending unit, pick up, and associated gaskets.
Thank you for your tip. We attempted to replace the sending unit last year and the bolts were so rusty it was impossible to remove them. We thought it was a faulty sending unit but it was only a broken wire. Hoping I don't have to remove the sending unit from the tank, but I think if I am going to have it re-done, I will need to get a new sending unit. I read about a recall from Toyota for tanks. Is that true? I guess it can't hurt to call the dealer on Monday

There was a recall on these tanks but last time I had a customer check they laughed at him and told him that they didn’t have everything available.
Sending units are available if needed (it will have to come out to do the tank)
They aren’t always the funnest thing to pull but as mentioned,use a floor jack as support.
Make sure when you get it cleaned that they coat it.

I have also found that if you have beer it usually attracts people to help!

I was able to drop the tank solo with a floor jack & some penetrating oil to help with the boilts.
My bolts werent too bad but it did take some time. I reused the straps.
The straps are reused huh? Every time I’m under my truck I look at those and feel a tinge of worry. They’re just metal right?

Hi, I've never had a bad strap,they clean up nicely. If your suspension is flat the tank can be hard to get out. Always do this outside. A Small children's swimming pool can make the draining easy. The intake gas line can be really stuck sometimes. Rear sway bars may need to come off. Tire carrier bolts can break ,soaking ahead of time helps .Usually a 1 hour job to remove. Mike

I just did mine myself and it was not to bad overall. 2 straps 8 bolts and it comes down. Do yourself a favor and remove all hoses first (take a picture of where they are now)
I replaced my tank with a LRA tank so i did not put it back, but the straps were very usable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom