83 FJ60 Door refresh (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

John Staton

SILVER Star
Threads
So lots of threads on this I realize and I have read through them. I still have some questions. Windows are hard to roll up and my passenger side makes a clunking noise when I shut it and when I am on a bumpy road so I want to refresh them. I also want to upgrade the speakers.

Here is what I have:
- ordered new OEM regulators for both front doors
- new speakers with the spacers I got a while back from another thread
- the clips for the door panel
- 3M strip caulk for the protective sheet of plastic
-plastic- not sure what shape mine will be in but I have read it is 2mil so could easily pick some up from Home Depot
- sound deadener- I have plenty left from when I replaced the carpet and will install it when I have it open.

What I have left to order:
- Front glass run channel- the channel the glass rolls into (pretty straight forward)
- Felts, inner and outer:
- Inner- looks like they are still avail and come with the strip of chrome, all good
-Outer- this is a bit where I am hung up. Looks like the ones I have in my cart do not come with the chrome and the ones with the chrome are no longer available. I want to keep the chrome because I personally like how it looks and will not be doing the back doors at the same time and prefer they match. What are my choices? can I adapt the felt to the existing chrome piece?

so remaining questions I have:
-Outer felt- want chrome...is it possible, what do I need to order?
-any advice on changing out the regulators? do I have to remove the glass etc.....a step by step list would be helpful
-Are there other parts I should order? seems like I also see a vertical run on the handle side of the door that is avail....is there anything else I should be thinking about changing? I do have to lift the passenger handle very high up to get the door open and it is kind of a pain in the ass. People assume it is locked when they go to get in on the passenger side. Not sure what the problem is there and will have to study it when I have it open.

Thank for the input....goal is to open these up once and get it all done the first time.....
FJ60awning.JPG

fj60doorblowup.png

The chrome strip on the door at the bottom of the window can be removed and reinstalled. clips and rubber are available. I believe @LCnAZ posted a how to when he replaced his.
The felt on the inside of the door is attached to the door card. You can probably get away with some generic felt or hook and loop...the loop part. I can't remember but it may be stapled in place. Check out these threads:

weather stripping

and door window weatherstrip

glass...yes just two 10mm machine screws if I recall that hold a metal strip that is urethaned into the bottom of the glass to the regulator. Leave the urethane alone and the metal strip attached to the glass. Just unscrew the machine screws and pull the window up thru the door ...tilt inward and pull it out of the way.

As I recall the new weatherstrip I ordered covered the entire window run ...no need to buy a separate small straight piece.

Just get another handle for the one that lifts too much.

Make note of this: Reinstalling the window ...make sure it goes in the runs before you try to screw it to the regulator. have a helper lower it. Loosen the slotted screw on the regulator, may need to loosen some other regulator screws too. tilt the regulator down and forward in the door. This way you can have access to the forward screw hole where the window attaches. Otherwise this hole will be about 1 inch above the cut out under the speaker and unless you have really small hands it's gonna be a pain to reach.

I bought much of this stuff from Cruiser Corps, one stop online order.

For the rubber weatherstip that goes under the chome, simply pull the old chrome piece off the door ..it's snapped into holes in the metal door with white plastic clips. You might need a flathead screwdriver to help pry the clips loose. Realize many clips will break. Once off finish pulling the white clips off the piece noting how the clip sandwiches the chrome (really stainless) piece to the rubber piece.

Polish up the stainless while its apart. Also take some time to clean up the door under the chrome. There should be no glue or adhesive here...but probably lots of old dust and dirt.

Attach the new rubber with new white clips that come with the new weatherstrip (save your old clips for the rear door chrome) Make sure the rubber is all the way on the chrome piece and straight as you look down the piece.e

slide the clips up or down the piece into the correct position by holding it up to the door and lining up the clips with the corresponding slots

Set the piece on the door and slightly tilt inward so the clips are starting to go into the slots.

Bump the piece with your fist to set the clips in the holes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom