83 FJ60 Build up thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seat Repair

I got 5hr on the 60 over the last week. Sorry for the weekly updates, just easier this way with the pics.

I got a lot done on the seats, actually I am finished except for the covers! I got new front seat bushings made on the lathe at work for the pivot point and the driver seat repaired, sandblasted and painted.

New seat pivot bushings made on the lathe at work:
100_6207.jpg

Driver side seat. Back support is cracked and the head rest supports have broken spot welds:
100_6208.jpg

Driver side seat fixed (crack welded, spot welds repaired):
100_6209.jpg

Driver side seat sandblasted:
100_6210.jpg

Driver side seat painted and re-assembled:
100_6211.jpg

Rear seat back w/ extra foam attached:
100_6212.jpg

Driver and passenger side seat re-assembled using Hog Ring pliers:
100_6213.jpg

Body Work and Seat Repair

I got 3hr on the 60 this week. I got the bottom sear covers for the front seats back and I hog-ringed them onto the seats. They look good. Now I just need the backs and head rests!

I also started on the lower tailgate. With the damage it had, I thought it best to de-skin the tailgate. This went well by using a 3/16" drill bit to remove the spot welds, then using a putty knife to start bending the fold up, then finished with a screwdriver and pliers.

Front seat bottom cover installed:
100_6240.jpg

Front seat cover, underside:
100_6241.jpg

Lower tailgate driver side before (dent):
000_0020.jpg

Lower tailgate passenger side before (rust):
000_0021.jpg

Putty knife and spot weld removed:
000_0022.jpg

Lower tailgate separated:
000_0023.jpg

I like how you're using the unpainted rear quarters to paint things.

Truly genius :beer:

Two words: Thorough

I updated my hour and dollar totals. This marks the 2 year annivery of starting the project... man this is taking forever.

Time: 338 hours, 10 min (equivalant of 8.5 weeks) @(est)$70/hr=$23,671.90

Total Cost (in parts/supplies)to date: $4,484.34

Current value minus vehicle=Roughly $30,000.00

There, fixed it for you, or it reads you've not factored in shop rate, I hope the labor's worth more than $13/hr. :D ($4484.34/338.16666667hrs)

I updated my hour and dollar totals. This marks the 2 year annivery of starting the project... man this is taking forever.

Time: 338 hours, 10 min (equivalant of 8.5 weeks) @(est)$70/hr=$23,671.90

Total Cost (in parts/supplies)to date: $4,484.34

Current value minus vehicle=Roughly $30,000.00

There, fixed it for you, or it reads you've not factored in shop rate, I hope the labor's worth more than $13/hr. :D ($4484.34/338.16666667hrs)

I think you got it wrong...

I have 338 hours into the project.
I have spent $4484.34 on materials (things w/ receipts).

Right now, I get $0.00 / hour on shop labor ;)

Body Work

I got 3hr 15min on the 60 this morning. It was such a nice day, I had to make an effor to paint something.

I used a 60 grip flap disc and cleaned up inside the cowl. I welded in the brackets that go inside. Then I shot two coats of epoxy primer on it. Looks good... I will not be using a flap disc on the body... holy sanding marks! :eek:

Endorsement:
The kirker epoxy primer when on nice. It didn't run, no matter how wet I got it. Plus it's Iso free, so the beer I drank afterwards is probably worse for me!

Inside of cowl w/ two coats of gray Kirker Epoxy Primer:
100_6243.jpg

I know lots of others have said it already, but thanks for the step by step guides and the informative pictures. Great job. Also impressed with the total cost. Expected it to be much higher.

Body Work

I got 5hr and 20 minutes on the 60 over the last week.

First, I got the cowl welded back on, the braces welded on, and the welds ground down.

Second, I started back into the tailgate. I got the two patches welded back into the outer tailgate skin. One to go on the inside.

Cowl welded on:
100_6260.jpg

100_6261.jpg

Outer tailgate skin w/ 2 new patches welded in:
100_6273.jpg

Body Work and Seat Repair

I got 7hr and 45min on the 60 over the last week.

I got the tailgate fixed. I sandblasted the edges of the inner and outer tailgate as there was some surface rust. then I welded the last patch to the inner piece of the tailgate. I laid down some weldable primer on the seams. Then I cleaned up both pieces of tailgate w/ wax and grease remover. Then I folded the outer edge of the tailgate skin back down and tacked it into place. It turned out alright... NEVER again will I reskin anything!

Inner and outer tailgate piece sandblasted:
100_6276.jpg

Inner tailgate piece that needed patch:
100_6277.jpg

Patch welded to inner tailgate:
100_6278.jpg

Tailgate skin hammered/dollied back into place and tack welded:
100_6302.jpg

Tailgate finished up:
100_6301.jpg

More Pics

I also got the last of the seat covers installed! I used the hog rings and got them tied down. They look good all finished up. Only thing not done is the headrests.

Rear seat (bottom) cover installed. My eldest helped, so he was proud to be in the pics:
100_6280.jpg

Rear seat bottom completely finished up:
100_6281.jpg

Rear seat bottom, latch. The cover is broken, so I cut the broken part to use it as a cosmetic cover:
100_6283.jpg

I couldn't remember which way these brackets went, so I guessed for now:
100_6282.jpg

Rear seat back finished up:
100_6279.jpg

Passenger seat finished:
100_6285.jpg

Driver seat finished:
100_6287.jpg

More Pics

I finished prepping the upper tailgate as well. There was one patch of rust on the bottom side of the window. I also wire wheeled out the seam sealer (what a mess!) in prep for paint.

Rust below rear window in upper tailgate:
100_6303.jpg

Patch welded in and ground down:
100_6304.jpg

I started working on the rear passenger door. Here is the before shot:
100_6305.jpg

Body Work

I got 10hrs and 15min since my last post on the 60. I have been pushing to get all the body work done so I can paint as soon as it warms up. Lots of pics :p.

I got the long dent pulled in the passenger rear door. A few tries with the stud gun did the trick. I had to hammer and dolly the edges:
100_6306.jpg

100_6307.jpg

Body Work

I finished pulling the dents on the driver side of the truck. I didn't have the stud gun when I welded in these patches. I ended up having to use a 5lb sledge to "adjust" the rear quarter panel due to the warping.... :hillbilly:

Driver's side rear quarter getting pulled:
100_6308.jpg

Driver's side rocker panel:
100_6310.jpg

Body Work

I prepped the passenger front door too. It had the shallower version of the rear door.

Passenger front door before:
100_6311.jpg

Passenger front door after:
100_6312.jpg

I prepped the driver's front door too. It had been previously fixed from an accident, so I had to sand out 5lbs of bondo from the door. What a mess!
100_6317.jpg

After prepping all the doors, I went and applied phospohric acid to the bottom of all the doors. It looked like mild rust had started, so I applied and soaked all four doors. Then I thoroughly rinsed and dried all the doors:
100_6352.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom