83 fj 60 starter issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello,

odd intermittent starter issue. turn the key and nothing ziltch not even a click.
brand new battery up to charge alternator checked fine.

tap on starter and it starts.
do I replace the whole starter or......?

where is the best place to get one if i do need to replace?

thanks in advance

jf

Check all the contacts that go to the starter as well as the battery terminals for corosion.

hey Felnik, I've got a starter off my 1982 FJ60 you can have for the cost to ship it. I don't see shipping being over $20. It worked well in my truck befoe I took the 2F out. PM if interrested
This would be much cheaper than a new or rebuilt, plus my dad being the hardcore GM guy that he is thinks that these leftover Toyota parts that I have sittin round the shop might rub off on his project.:beer:

Sounds like the solenoid is sticking and there isn't enough magnetic field pushing it out to engage the starter teeth. I'm guessing the brushes / armature on the inside are rusted or have some type of corrosion. You could probably disassemble it and clean up all contacts. A repair kit from CDan runs about $40 if you needed the contacts. Otherwise you have some good options layed out above.

Sounds like the solenoid is sticking and there isn't enough magnetic field pushing it out to engage the starter teeth. I'm guessing the brushes / armature on the inside are rusted or have some type of corrosion. You could probably disassemble it and clean up all contacts. A repair kit from CDan runs about $40 if you needed the contacts. Otherwise you have some good options layed out above.

x2 on what Randy said I got my contacts and plungers from CDan and rebuilt it just for piece of mind
Easy to do....there's a detailed thread with pics somewhere
20 min job

Thats exactly how mine went. I popped in a NAPA and its been fine since.

another possibility, when I pulled the starter on my 60, the contacts were fine, but it still had intermittent starting issues (as in it would intermittently start if someone hit the starter while the key was in the start position).

Turned out to be the solder connection from one of the external wires to the contact was cracked. Wiggling the wire would make contact sometimes. Reflowing solder got it back on the road (and wheeling in the yard to celebrate), with no replacement of the contacts required.

FWIW, replacing the contacts and plunger is cheap and easy. If you can pull the starter out, you can pull the three bolts to take it apart and inspect/replace the contacts and plunger, which is a LOT cheaper than getting a rebuilt of questionable quality. If you want a story about that, ask me about the alternator on the cherokee where the rebuilt replacement blew two 60 amp fuses before it failed :bang: Oh, it was from NAPA, since I didn't want to deal with junk rebuilds :bang::bang::bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom