83 BJ60 Rear Cross Member Bent then Broken (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The rear frame cross member that the rear struts attach to has snapped off on both ends. She wallows like a stuck sow. Is there a beefed up unit I can buy? I am in Canada, too much back country with a roof top tent and loaded down with gear. Seems to be 38" long and a 2" pipe.

bj60-1.jpg

bj60-2.jpg

bj60-3.jpg

Odd how that happens. Your frame doesn't really look very rusty. I've seen guys that have had square tube pieces welded in there as a replacement. Not likely there's an aftermarket bolt on or weld on piece for you to order but I dunno.

DSCN0062.JPG
That happened to me several years ago. I just drove a pipe thru the frame and welded it.

You can see a little of it in this pic. Not bent like the original tube but really I can't feel a bit of difference.

Last edited:
Mine broke also. I tabbed a new one and used some new 5/8" shock studs from 4wheelparts. I'll find the pictures and post them up.

Page 9 and 10 below:

My FJ60 project thread...

I will take a pic tonight. The PO used two pieces of flat stock welded to the frame and then a piece of square tube welded to that.
Welded bolts to the square tube and the shocks slide right one. I hope it holds.

Some more options can be found here
Broken Rear Upper Shock Mount Tube

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom