'83 BJ60, 480 000k, its GOOD TO BE BACK in the cruiser world! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was 18 years old when I bought my first cruiser, an '82 bj 60 with a 4 sp transmission.
No previous experience working on a vehicle. I was told the original 3b in the thing was blown so I bought a used 3b from Ciarin when he was still in south langley for $800, did the clutch, brakes, converted the thing to WVO and spent 13 months living out of it driving from home in North Delta BC to Guatemala and back (surfing all along the way of course) . . . ("the beast" eventually failed a roadside vehicle inspection with flying colors and was taken off the road lol)

Fast forward 8 years and I'm finally back in the cruiser game.
$2000 got me an'83 bj60 with 5 SPEED transmission :D
This vehicle is already converted to WVO although I am not certain how far down that road I will venture any time soon...

A previous owner rebuilt the rear half of the frame. It's the only reason I bought THIS particular cruiser. The frame has some rust to be sure but certainly nothing thats gonna give!

The Tcase needs a rebuild as the shifter wont move from high to low. Not sure what thats about.
Went on craigslist, made a call to a parts add, found another t case out of an early 80's cruiser...
i asked what he wanted... $150.
When we meet to do the swap... oh, an h55f mated to it? for the $150? too good to be true.

Previous owner had rear ended a truck (no frame damage, clean title) so I need a new hood, new front end/grill, and right fender.

Immediate plans:
Replace entire brake system with the exception of steel lines.

Rebuild knuckles
Rebuild rear hub/axle service
Rebuild used tcase and h55f (then pull out existing, rebuild to sell or sell as is to recoup some of the $$$)
New fluids, filters/belts, thermostat, water pump

Eventually planning on Diesel42's (i think?) Turbo kit. Spoke with him on the phone this week. What a stand up dude.

Questions:

-FSM PDF's pertaining to Tcase and h55f rebuild would be greatly appreciated. Hell, knuckle rebuild too.
-I'm in Canada. I know Beno puts QUALITY rebuild kits for tcases and trannys together from some research on here, can I expect the same quality of kit from the local cruiser shops?
-Anyone in the lower mainland have a hood, right fender, and front end of a cruiser for sale? With lights, grill, horn etc.

I'm shopping for the knuckle rebuild kit, t case kit, tranny kit, rear hub kit. Recommendations?
I've got the knuckle rebuild kit from 4wheelauto on my radar. For the rest I'm hoping someone who has done it can give me their 3 cents.

THANK YOU IH8MUD. I WOULD NOT HAVE GOTTEN AS FAR AS I DID IN THE PAST WITHOUT YOU. ITS SO GOOD TO BE BACK :)

Thanks Onur, I was at a landcuiser meeting when I got the call and will be happy to full fill the order of parts..

Rob

I was 18 years old when I bought my first cruiser, an '82 bj 60 with a 4 sp transmission.
No previous experience working on a vehicle. I was told the original 3b in the thing was blown so I bought a used 3b from Ciarin when he was still in south langley for $800, did the clutch, brakes, converted the thing to WVO and spent 13 months living out of it driving from home in North Delta BC to Guatemala and back (surfing all along the way of course) . . . ("the beast" eventually failed a roadside vehicle inspection with flying colors and was taken off the road lol)

Fast forward 8 years and I'm finally back in the cruiser game.
$2000 got me an'83 bj60 with 5 SPEED transmission :D
This vehicle is already converted to WVO although I am not certain how far down that road I will venture any time soon...

A previous owner rebuilt the rear half of the frame. It's the only reason I bought THIS particular cruiser. The frame has some rust to be sure but certainly nothing thats gonna give!

The Tcase needs a rebuild as the shifter wont move from high to low. Not sure what thats about.
Went on craigslist, made a call to a parts add, found another t case out of an early 80's cruiser...
i asked what he wanted... $150.
When we meet to do the swap... oh, an h55f mated to it? for the $150? too good to be true.

Previous owner had rear ended a truck (no frame damage, clean title) so I need a new hood, new front end/grill, and right fender.

Immediate plans:
Replace entire brake system with the exception of steel lines.

Rebuild knuckles
Rebuild rear hub/axle service
Rebuild used tcase and h55f (then pull out existing, rebuild to sell or sell as is to recoup some of the $$$)
New fluids, filters/belts, thermostat, water pump

Eventually planning on Diesel42's (i think?) Turbo kit. Spoke with him on the phone this week. What a stand up dude.

Questions:

-FSM PDF's pertaining to Tcase and h55f rebuild would be greatly appreciated. Hell, knuckle rebuild too.
-I'm in Canada. I know Beno puts QUALITY rebuild kits for tcases and trannys together from some research on here, can I expect the same quality of kit from the local cruiser shops?
-Anyone in the lower mainland have a hood, right fender, and front end of a cruiser for sale? With lights, grill, horn etc.

I'm shopping for the knuckle rebuild kit, t case kit, tranny kit, rear hub kit. Recommendations?
I've got the knuckle rebuild kit from 4wheelauto on my radar. For the rest I'm hoping someone who has done it can give me their 3 cents.

THANK YOU IH8MUD. I WOULD NOT HAVE GOTTEN AS FAR AS I DID IN THE PAST WITHOUT YOU. ITS SO GOOD TO BE BACK :)

Evreything is rebuild able with a certain amount of ambition and knowledge. The H55 being the more ambitious project, I learned a log time ago with some torches and home made pullers this job can be done.

Good luck..
Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom