83 BJ42 transfer and tranny fluid change.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this is a dumb question but where are the refill plugs on the tranny and transfer case on my BJ42.. I am looking and looking and I don't see anything like a plug... please point my in the right direction.. and is it ok to use SAE 90 for both.. ?

thanks

Look for a 24mm head to the plug about half way up on the rear of the transfer case. I don't remember the size of the tranny plug (probably 24mm or 19mm). Look half way up on the left side.
This is from memory but should be close.
90 is good for both.

the only 24mm plugs are my drian plugs... does it have 2 wires running out from it?

Last edited:
24mm transfer case fill.
LDCR 050.jpg

19mm? transmission fill.
I think you are in need of some manuals!!

Last edited:
Tranny fill is 24 mm on mine at least (same year/model, same as my old FJ60 as well). Have to remove the skidplate to get to the tranny fill plug unless you're PlasticMan.

B

StanCruiserMan said:
19mm? transmission fill.
I think you are in need of some manuals!!

Thanks a million and yes i do need some manuals but everyone I talked to says the haynes are crap. which ones should I get?

STIFFLER said:
Thanks a million and yes i do need some manuals but everyone I talked to says the haynes are crap. which ones should I get?

The Haynes will still give basic info and a bit more. Handy to have until a bargain priced FSM comes along on Ebay.

I picked up a Engine and Body/chassis FSM recently for a song out of a local trader rag and still smiling a week later.:D

Yup 24 mm for all and use a 6 sides socket... 6 sides

well I seem to have a hose that runs to one another on the end of my plugs?whats the reasoning for that?

STIFFLER said:
well I seem to have a hose that runs to one another on the end of my plugs?whats the reasoning for that?

This is an aftermarket setup to put the fluid back into the transfercase from the tranny. this is a quick fix when the seal between the trans/transfer case is bad, all the fluid will run into the tranny. The symtom to tell if you have this condition is when opening the filler it will be over full. Wait now that I think about it i am not sure if it runs into the tranny or out of the tranny, but in any case you get the idea. If you are not sure if that condition exists remove the tube check the fluids drive it for a while without the tube installed and then check the fillers and see if one overflows.

Cheers,

Michael

tlcruiserman said:
... all the fluid will run into the tranny. [...] Wait now that I think about it i am not sure if it runs into the tranny or out of the tranny ...l

Good question :

tranny to T-case

or

T-case to tranny when the seal is bad.

Someone know ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom