'83 BJ42 Clutch Travel and characteristics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.sourcepoint.com.au
Hi all,

I am in an interesting position WRT my rig; I want to get rid of our other family run about - HondaCRV - so that I can properly garage the BJ42 and that will require me selling my wife on the 42 as the daily driver. Now she is not fussed about driving the old girl, she is quite fond of it - its in excellent condition which helps with the ladies :lol: - but she is also happy to consider selling the truck and keeping the CRV - we can't really afford to be a 2 car family and can't garage them both anyway...

Anyhow - something I have always thought about asking but never did was something she mentioned about the travel on the clutch pedal. It engages a very long way out from the floor and when hovering over it for changes it seems to be a long leg lift.

Now I just got used to it - we are both tall, and I worried that the whole seat might need to go back for me but it has turned out to be extremely comfortable for me to drive - I prefer it to all the cars I have had. My wife will get used to it but it makes me wonder how other BJ42 drivers find the clutch characteristics: fully released and engage position. It does not feel like it is worn out - but if it is pretty heavy duty it probably won't till its almost gone right? A mech who looked at the truck over a year ago said the clutch was fine but another guy commented that it was "nearly gone" because the engage point was so high.

Thoughts guys please?

Will

I am leaning towards a misadjusted slave cylinder and/or master. These have a degree of free play that together could cause early engagement. Grab a service manual for the specs-answers are in there.

Hi Will

I suggest comparing your "clutch operating measurements" to the "FSM specifications" (and making any adjustments necessary):

clutch1.jpg

clutch2.jpg

:cheers:
clutch1.jpg
clutch2.jpg

I personally find the clutch AND the brake pedal to be WAY up off the floor in my 42. Thats just the way the pedals are positioned, but they're both much higher than the gas, it feels like 6 or 8".

I find that both of my LCs engage-disengage quite near the top of the pedal travel. The BJ40 did this right from new. I find it is easy to get used to, I have more problems adjusting to vehicles that engage-disengage near the bottom of the travel. I don't have an actual figure right now as to what this height is.

As you can see from Tom's post you should be applying pressure to the throw-out bearing less than 2" after you start moving the pedal and it doesn't take long from that point to disengage the clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom