Let me introduce Phred, my 1973 FJ40. (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ll just leave you some inspiration….
5A796597-AB01-4063-83A8-99E3D892A910.jpeg
8C8FBA4E-3D0C-44DE-A229-B9870186C63F.jpeg

The original owner told me "the top comes off, but I've never had it off". The problem is I'm going to have to remove the fiberglass top to redo the headliner since he added another dome light (because the original didn't make enough light) and that caused the original headliner to fall. I hate having to remove the top but its really about the last thing I have to do. I need to redo the gelcoat also and that will be much easier with the top off so I'll kill two birds with one stone.

Last edited:
@Skreddy We have GOT to meet up sometime. I have got to get a picture of our two ladies next to each other. Yours is so cool and could be the older sibling to mine. I'm definitely doing the winch now. THANKS!

UPDATE: I just checked the mileage from Stanwood to Oakesdale and even though we're in the same state it will require me to open a home equity loan to pay for the fuel.... so I'll start saving now. LMAO.

Your bumper has seen better days … it’s been resprayed to black

Mount it and buy a new toyota stock bumper for $150 and put it on the shelf… that will make you feel better

From the one pic… your missing the mirror arm from pass side and toyota emblem in grill

The rear flares are aftermarket … most likely had wider than stock tires at one time as well as aftermarket rims… the rims on it seem very clean and are either original referb or newer when the MT tires were put on … they are stamped on the inboard side a date

The rear aftermarket tank is a nice addition by PO

Post more pics … we love pics :)

Johnny my 73 FST had the same auxiliary spare tank. Looks like a nice tank but not a fan of how it hangs off the rear floor. Plus a hole in the side.
IMG_20201116_140653522.jpg
IMG_20200920_102809135.jpg

Would rather deal with this rust and replacing the dash with one I have then dealing repairing cut wheel wells.
0006.JPG
IMG_20200923_120956535.jpg

Like the Best tops the Warn winch came on plenty of Jeeps to call it a FJ40 unique part. In old Toyota technical bullets from the sixties. At that time it was the Ramsey PTO winch Toyota was selling as well as the TEQ PTO winch. What they also sold was kit to install a Ramsey winch an owner pulled off another vehicle so it could mount on a FJ40. Period correct but currently not unique to a FJ40. At least the Fairey OD is a unique Land Cruiser only drive train part. Can't interchange them onto a Land Rover.

You absoluteley will not hurt the value of your 40 by mounting the 8274. It will definitely enhance the originality of that rig. I say delete the flares and add the winch but then you’d have to fix the screw holes where the flares are so maybe keep the flares and add the winch!

Problem with fender flares in most cases the wheel well been cut. More involved than repairing some screw holes. Flange been cut and just a cut edge left.

@Skreddy We have GOT to meet up sometime. I have got to get a picture of our two ladies next to each other. Yours is so cool and could be the older sibling to mine. I'm definitely doing the winch now. THANKS!

UPDATE: I just checked the mileage from Stanwood to Oakesdale and even though we're in the same state it will require me to open a home equity loan to pay for the fuel.... so I'll start saving now. LMAO.
I may not be too far from you in the not too far future.

@Kayaker I notice in your second picture (I'm assuming based on the surrounding cars that its from the 70's) that your bumper is black. Was it black from the factory or did you paint it? I don't see any silver paint on mine and I'm wondering if it was originally black. I haven't reached out to the PO yet but just curious about yours....since you owned it since new.

In post #15 there is a third shift lever on the trans hump. Is it for an O.D. or did it have a PTO mounted at some time in the past?

@Kayaker I notice in your second picture (I'm assuming based on the surrounding cars that its from the 70's) that your bumper is black. Was it black from the factory or did you paint it? I don't see any silver paint on mine and I'm wondering if it was originally black. I haven't reached out to the PO yet but just curious about yours....since you owned it since new.
@Kayaker has the same Warn/Belleview 5687 I have on mine. I rebuilt it but have never used it. Was an option including the black bumper. Controls are a bit wonky being cable actuated.

15F6DE07-7378-468B-B021-5758A3212AEB.jpeg

A9F79046-3486-4FF1-98A6-952E2222D8A3.jpeg

@Kayaker has the same Warn/Belleview 5687 I have on mine. I rebuilt it but have never used it. Was an option including the black bumper. Controls are a bit wonky being cable actuated.

View attachment 3284906
View attachment 3284907

While an option it was not an OEM option including the bumper. I show it was 10/79 when the first the reinforcement for the OEM bumper to use an electric winch. Prior to that it was an aftermarket heavy channel iron bumper. It was straight did not taper back on the ends. Toyota only sold OEM bumpers in pewter and chrome, never black.

While an option it was not an OEM option including the bumper. I show it was 10/79 when the first the reinforcement for the OEM bumper to use an electric winch. Prior to that it was an aftermarket heavy channel iron bumper. It was straight did not taper back on the ends. Toyota only sold OEM bumpers in pewter and chrome, never black.
Correct! I have that thick steel channel bumper - painted it pewter just to look more OEM. Doesn’t taper.

@Living in the Past I’m not sure of the brochure that has the below photo that discusses options - maybe a dealer brochure?

7EE96527-9A6D-4F9D-BC69-6F0F76281537.jpeg

Correct! I have that thick steel channel bumper - painted it pewter just to look more OEM. Doesn’t taper.

@Living in the Past I’m not sure of the brochure that has the below photo that discusses options - maybe a dealer brochure?

View attachment 3284917

Believe it's a Toyota US market brochure. Back to the early sixties Toyota sold US made US aftermarket parts thru dealers. Eaton, Warn, Ramsey and Hickey were a few manufacturers. I have a technical bulletin from 1963 to add aftermarket Air Conditioning in a Land Cruiser. Radios carpeting were also listed.

You have been very blessed to find one in such fantastic condition. Mount the winch, use the vehicle, and enjoy it to the fullest. I'm definitely not suggesting you abuse it. Just enjoy it for what it is. You only live once. Congratulations on such a nice find.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I really do understand how fortunate I am to have found this vehicle. It's crazy that stuff like this still exists. Oh, and this is proof that it never hurts to ask. I saw it sitting next to a garage on a dead-end street in Moscow ID and when I realized it had no rust I decided to knock on the door. It hadn't moved in approximately 15 years and he was ready to let it go. I gave him exactly what he was asking for it and both of us walked away happy. On its first road trip a couple weeks ago I took it back to show him and he was so grateful it went to someone that appreciates it. He had all sorts of stories, and I learned that it's name is Phred. I envision all my vehicles as ladies so it's not the name I'd have chosen but we'll go with it for now....😆

I got home and after dinner couldn't wait any longer to see what it would look like. This is a 5 minute mockup, but it seals the deal. I think my winch even has the right amount of patina to fit the bill.

Now that I'm going to install it, what options/suggestions are there for mounts? I'll probably just use the stock bumper since it's apparently been painted already so I'd like to find a mount that incorporates the original bumper and ISN'T welded to the frame. Hopefully one is made that utilizes the factory bumper mounting bolts?? I'm up for any advice you care to share. Thanks again.

20230328_182159.jpg

Last edited:
To the OP, run the 8274. Fits perfect on their, period correct and an amazing winch.

Believe it's a Toyota US market brochure. Back to the early sixties Toyota sold US made US aftermarket parts thru dealers. Eaton, Warn, Ramsey and Hickey were a few manufacturers. I have a technical bulletin from 1963 to add aftermarket Air Conditioning in a Land Cruiser. Radios carpeting were also listed.

Lots of cool stuff there. Toyota was still doing this in 1988. A dealer option in Australia in 88 was an ARB bumper. Still on my BJ74.

To the OP, run the 8274. Fits perfect on their, period correct and an amazing winch.

Lots of cool stuff there. Toyota was still doing this in 1988. A dealer option in Australia in 88 was an ARB bumper. Still on my BJ74.

Would been nice if Toyota offered aftermarket options from Australia in the US. But Toyota wouldn't offer Diesel engines, full floating rear axle and a bunch of standard and optional equipment from the factory here either. Not to mention the 70 series which was never offered in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom