8274 "Oil Change" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so I've read all I can find on breaking down the 8274 winch. The Pirate link is very good, so is the warn service manual (Warn sent me a copy of one with the basic break down and service info)

I just want to change the oil. Do I have to remove the motor to split the case? Every thing I 've read has been a complete rebuild, i do not need to do this (unless when I break the case apart I find otherwise), They start by removing the motor then the clutch release etc.

Can i just split the case with the motor on and the clutch mechanism in place?

Also, My Warn info says to use: 1/2 pint of, "20 weight non-detergent motor oil" or "Transmission fluid type "F" "

I think I have the tranny fluid, but would rather use Motor oil..any input?

Thanks
JON

I used STIHL Bar & Chain lube. It is a 30w base stock of virgin oil. It has a tackifier agent in it that allows it to climb and cling to the gears. (Thats what makes it stil to the saw chain when it's straveling 170ft per second.) I have never had a failure.

There is a thread on how to put a drain plug in it when you have it apart. I wish I had read the thread before I put mine back together.

Yeah I don't see a reason why not to. When I reassembled mine, I had everything mounted and just bolted the two halves together; so I see no reason why you couldn't do the opposite.

I split the case and left the motor in place. That involved the least disassembly. , I used 6 oz or so of 80w-90 gear oil. I don't think it matters that much, and it's what I had on hand. The case of the winch contains gears, so...gear oil. You should use 30wt which is what Warn reccomends. I'm doing an experiment with mine.

Last edited:
when I had mine out I drilled and tapped a drain and fill plub into the lower and upper case. But it srtill pays to pop the top off to change the oil. its easy and allows you to check for milky oil or metal filings. if you have it that far apart rebuild the clutch as well as get new end seals for the drum.

So what kind of silicon did you guys use to seal the two halves together?

I have some Blue Gasket seal I've been using on thermostat housings and a fuel pump a couple years ago..Is this okay or just plain clear stuff?

should have asked this in the thread start.

jon

jon

Gray Permatex is what I had on hand. No leaks. Given it's just motor oil-even blue permatex should be OK.

I used RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanising) Silicone, works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom