8274 Mounting Bolt size ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.homestead.com
Trying to fab up my mounting plate for the yet-to-be-purchased 8274.
I feel the need...... the need to dull up some drill bits.
Can anyone give me the len/diam of the 4 bolts. &#039:Doesn't seem to be on Warn's site..... they just mention a p/n 7165 and p/n's for lockwashers and nuts.
I assume grade 8 ?

Many thanks,

John Sherwood '79 FJ40
Charlotte, NC TLCA Upstate Cruisers.

Hey John:

I've got the exact bolt description in the manual at home - I'll post it this evening if someone here doesn't get to it before me.

I do seem to recall that the bolts were grade 5 though - I believe it stated that as well - and the bolt heads had the 3 marks accordingly.

Eric

7/16x1.75" grade 5 IIRC...

1 800 543 WARN(9276) Good people, they will help you out.

Good luck!

-Steve

Geez, sorry John - almost forgot to post!

From the 8274-50 operator's manual:

"7/16 - 14 x 1-1/2, grade 5 bolt x 4 torque 45-50 FT.LBS."

Then there's an insert with installation instructions that says to torque to 33 ft. lbs. Both documents have the correct 8274-50 model number on them - go figure. I think I went closer to 50 myself, but I have a tendancy to over-tighten everything.

You got that winch plate fabbed up? Let's see it!

Eric

>"You got that winch plate fabbed up? Let's see it!"<

Sorry Eric.... nothing yet. That's the trouble with "freebies".
My friend with the big welding shop was outa' 8" wide 3/8" plate, except for some scraps. He was going to order some, but got tied up with an emergency job.
I think he was contracted to build something for the big events downtown (Charlotte, NC... Panther's.... pre-Super Bowl pep rally) I'm not the least into this football stuff, but think I'm probably gonna' watch some of this game. The whole town has gone nuts. Why can't they get that excited over Bass Fishing tournaments ? :D

Stay tuned.

John
Charlotte, NC '79 FJ-40
TLCA Upstate Cruisers

Sherwood-

The lenght of the fastener you end up using may be different than what Warn specifies, due to the thickness of the material used to make the mounting plate. Also, the fairlead you choose to use may alter the lenght, as could the mounting location selected in relationship to the bumper. Since I tried to mount my 8274-50 lower between the framrails, the bottom bolts needed to be longer in order to reach the winch through the 2" leg on the formed .250" bumper I made.

Good luck!

-Steve

But............. and this was not made clear, maybe......... was in a previous different thread...............

This is for a CCOT HFS 8274 winch bumper.
I'm building a "carbon copy" of what CCOT made. &#039:Didn't wan't to re-engineer something like that. Asked CCOT if they would sell me the "plate" so I could upgrade my HFS bumper..... have my professional welder friend weld it on to my existing HFS bumper. For some reason (maybe liability) they declined to do so. Eric was kind enough to email me all the measurements off his CCOT winch mount plate.

Thanks,
John

Sherwood,

In the first post it looks like you asked for the lenght and diameter of the bolts used to mount the winch, correct?

Now, you are talking about this style bumper...right?
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/coolfj40/bumper.html

As you can see, the lower bolts will need to be longer. The bolts that you will recieve from Warn, will be long enough to mount the winch to a flat plate of .250" or possibly .375", and that is it. The longer bolts needed to pass through the lower part of the bumper and fairlead, do not come with the winch...

That is all I was trying to say.

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks again for the replies,

Maybe Eric will jump in here and straighten us out. He has a brand new one and kindly sent some excellent pix to me. I was under the impression that the winch simply mounts to the 3/8" plate with the 4 standard warn mounting screws and the fairlead mounts with it's own screws, ie. no long through-bolts.

I know the 10" spacing used on fairleads is so they will mount up using the warn 10" spacing on those mounts where the winch and fairlead are together on one mounting plate. However, I see no reason to run a long bolt through the bumper in this installation .... in fact, to me it seems not-so-good engineering to have the bottom winch bolts bearing (longitudinally) on a softer aluminum or UHMW fairlead. Seems it might not take long for them to loosen up. But then, I'm not an engineer.... just an old geezer.

............Eric ? Straighten us out here..........

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom