8274/CCOT HFS bumper question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I'm trying to mount a CCOT HFS bumper and 8274 warn to my FJ40.
The HFS is advertised as a direct OEM replacment. However when the front shackle reversal was done a lot of the OEM brackets were lost. To further complicated matters I am adding power steering so the frame will be boxed from the front to the first crossmemeber and the triangular top plate on the drivers side won't clear the PS gear box.
I'm sure this has been done before so rather than re-invent the wheel I thought I'd ask. I did a search and the only thing I came up with was a reference to some tube gussets that woody made.

Thanks for your help.

Yeah, same think happened to me on my rig.

On the bottom channel, I knotched the tube with a plasma cutter so the bumper fits around the spring hanger.

Basically I cut the width of the hanger off the bottom. I think the steel on those ar strong enough that you could take the entire lower lip off of it and it would still be overbuilt.

By doing this, you can only use the top OEM holes to mount it.

We welded a 90* on each side of the frame and drilled through the front of the bumper on each side.

I will try to find some pics....

Look at the gold grade 8 bolts in the front to get an idea....
close.jpg

It looks like you bolt to the triangular plates on top?

I also noticed the PS/winch fit looks tight. Is there enough room for the ram connections?

Edit: Of course there's enough room I can see the ram, any tricks there?

wngrog said:
I don't know what you need help with on the ram? Maybe you need to take some pics.....
I was just wondering about clearance between the ram hydraulic connections and the winch. I'm probably overthinking things.

Not much except a pile of parts to take pictures of right now.

Thanks for the advice on the bumper, I have a much better idea of how that part will go together.

wngrog said:
My lines come in from the top of the Saginaw box...................
I'm home now and just took another look at things. I also have two lines on top, I assume supply and return from the pump, and two lines on the inboard side that feed the ram. One of them sticks out nearly as far as the widest part of the Saginaw box, without the hose attached.

I was thinking through the bumper thing on the drive home, how do you tighten the bolts in the OEM holes after you box in the frame? I could see an access hole on the passenger side. But the P/S box would be in the way on the drivers side.

Sorry if I'm getting to much mixed up in one thread. To me it's all related, like one of those puzzle blocks. And I want to have a good mental image of how all the parts fit together before I start welding.

wngrog said:
My frame is not totally boxed like yours on that side. I would think you may need to drill out a hole and weld in a nut or two in the top of the frame.
Thanks. All this should be happening in the next two weeks, I'll post some pic's.

Well I worked it out. I laid everything out on the floor and eyeballed clearences. There wern't none. So I looked around and found a source for the OEM brackets.

Click on images to view full size
I tack welded the nuts to the frame befor I boxed it in

The two brass fittings on the side of the P/S box were what had me worried they connect to the ram.

Everything trial fitted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom