'82 fj60 steering box - replace with an fj80 box rebuild the 60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my '82 60 steering box is leaking badly. I have been told I could rebuild the 60 or possibly upgrade to the fj80 steering box instead. However there seems to be some confusion from people about the fit. I was told the 80 box would fit if I bent the inner fender wall and that the holes line up on the frame.

Can anyone definitively tell me:

1. rebuild the 60 box?
2. does the 80 box fit?
3. and if #2 is yes, are all years of the 80 box the same? any mods that need to be done to my 60?
4. Where is the best place to buy either one?

Thank you all for the help.

I say the 80 steering gearbox is a good choice if your 60 steering gear box sector shaft is worn out — otherwise have it rebuilt or buy a rebuilt 60 box and ship yours back for the core refund. Other members know where to buy/rebuild

You can’t upgrade to an 80 box until after 5/85 as a bolt on.

Your best bet is to work with that you’ve got and send it out for a rebuild.

it wont fit your 82. Well at least not all of the bolts. I think you can get 3 of the 4 in.

Rebuild your 60 box. No real advantage to the 80 box unless you do a 105 series sector shaft upgrade and are running 35+" tires. Even then, it would only be held on by 3 bolts. I guess you could do a small weld on the 4th corner but then that would be a nightmare if you had to remove on a trail.

not the greatest google image but I believe this is the comparison of the early FJ60 box vs the later FJ60/62/80 box. I am sure you could convert but you would most likely have to make some adapter plates and do some cutting and drilling and welding

1618614419571.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom