82 BJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thanks to all you MUDs out there for all the great stuff.I wish i knew about this site when i did this little gem.In 1981 my cousin larry and i ordered 2 BJ,s for our hunting trips.His came first and mine was going to be 6 months cause of the orders to SAUDI ARABIA. Im glad i waited cause his was a 4 speed and mine came with a 5 speed.I dont know where mine is now but my son and i found Larry,s and for 1000 bucks bought it with 98000 kms thats about 65000 miles on it they are origanal cause larry sold it to my other cousin Glen.
kimwed 098.jpg
kimwed 101.jpg
kimwed 104.jpg

metal replacement

My son bought the cruiser and his budget was going to be 1000 dollars. I said i,d get the paint and body supply and do the labour.So we started by replacing the rust with new metal.
kimwed 111.jpg
kimwed 110.jpg
kimwed 112.jpg

Excellent floor repair, I ended up just cutting the entire thing out on mine, and it was about as rusted as your sons.

Nice job! Can you tell me what kind of welder you use?

Nice work,my son and I are restoring his 1982 fj40.Never a dull moment.You learn alot on the first one would make the second one easy! Mike

Its a 15 year old lincon 100 amp 110 volt mixed gas with .025.It really sucks especialy this job as i only had a bottle of CO2 for half the job and thats for flux core.

Your absalutly right Mike my second one which is posted here was easier only because i knew what to expect and had some of the measurments.

doors .

The doors ,hood, window frame ,apron ,amby doors, hard top, were all rusted really bad but a budjet is what it is so more metal replacement and mud
toyota 005.jpg
toyota 016.jpg
toyota 011.jpg

painting

It took about 3 months to complete all the body work im not a body man and it is a hunting rig.It was time for paint.the inside was ccoated with POR 15 then primed and painted with RUST NOT. the body was covered with freeborn red (year specific),Roof and bezel with crysler white,which was OMNI clear base.
toyota 047.jpg
toyota 052.jpg
toyota 053.jpg

putting GABE 1 back together

All the painting done it was time to put GABE back together(the name just suited it) lots of little gremlins doing that isnt there.
toyota final 013.jpg
toyota final 015.jpg
toyota final 016.jpg

FINI 2 weeks before our trip

With GABE finished we tallyed up Mike was pretty much on budjet,(mentaly of coarse) I spent that and then some so for about 3 grand we got it road worthy and lookin good Thanks all for reading and looking.This little rig holds a big place in our hearts.
toyota final 033.jpg
toyota final 032.jpg
toyota final 034.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom