82 2f sneezes when starting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fjwagon

SILVER Star
Threads
Has anyone experience this. Since I have rebuilt my engine I've had this problem it happens about 90 percent of the time when trying to start the engine. I don't have problems starting.....actually starts like in it normally should. Initially, I checked the timing...I purposely moved the dist. one tooth back and the engine ran pretty bad. The same thing happened when the moving it the other direction. I think it has a vaccum leak somewhere or a hose in the wrong place but can not figure out which one. The vaccum advance has been replaced as well. Any ideas?

Can you give a better description than sneezes?

Is it the stock 2f? You have aftermkt headers or stock ex manifold? Stock carb? All emissions gear there?

AndrewT

Everything is original and it's all there or least I like to think so.....the Sneezing is hard to describe....I'm not sure what other word would best discribe the sound it makes. Someone one who works on these engines termed it this way so I have been using the same discription. Have your had the dist. out of timing and as you try to start the engine it make some wierd noises....well it sounds like that but it does it once and then it starts. It's really odd. :)

So this is what is happening.....as I turn the key it sneezes and then it starts. It has no problems starting. LIke if air is coming out of the dist.

NJFJ40 said:
Can you give a better description than sneezes?

Is it the stock 2f? You have aftermkt headers or stock ex manifold? Stock carb? All emissions gear there?

AndrewT

Last edited:
No it is not popping back through the carb. It pops back at the dist. but not as bad like it does on the carb on others I have seen/heard. I have no problems starting. I have checked the timing with a timing light and removed the dist. several times thinking I missed it by a tooth but no help. It runs on the highway fine. I can run it up to 75 in 5th gear and Ihave no problems. But I have noticed that it will ping every now and then. So i keep going back to the issue of retiming but's dead on. :confused:

GetsUThere said:
Is it popping back through the carb? Might want to check your timing if so.

That's the only thing I could think of that sounded like a "sneeze". I think you're going to need a better description of what's making the sound. I've never heard of a distributor making that kind of noise.

Check your emissions schematic on your hood underside, in your emissions FSM, or over at SOR site. There is a VTV and a Check Valve in your vacuum lines going to the distributor. Have you checked them to make sure they are connected properly and working right?

Have you checked timing with vac advance connected to make sure your timing advances under load as it should?

I have not heard of this before so just suggesting some potentially related items to check.

AndrewT

My 1f was a little under the weather the other day. I hear somethings going around.

I have ckecked the hoses to make they are connected correctly. I search and found an extra check valve that I wanted to confirm "good" but have not had a chance. From all the research I have done I think I have something hooked up backwards or a hose is leaking or in the wrong place. I had the VTV backwards and installed it like the manual says but this was before I rebuilt the engine. Yes this odd. I wonder if anyone else has had similiar problems. Thanks

NJFJ40 said:
Check your emissions schematic on your hood underside, in your emissions FSM, or over at SOR site. There is a VTV and a Check Valve in your vacuum lines going to the distributor. Have you checked them to make sure they are connected properly and working right?

Have you checked timing with vac advance connected to make sure your timing advances under load as it should?

I have not heard of this before so just suggesting some potentially related items to check.

AndrewT

So a sneeze would be air being expelled right? Have you had someone else start it so you can find where that is happening in the engine?

FJWAGON;

U may have a plugged PVC valve. Maybe water in the gas.

How may miles on engine? How old are the spark plugs and wires? U could have a cross fire from old spark plug wires.

After my first cup of coffee this morning, I am thinking that your plug wires could be old and cross firing; or the cap and rotor are old and maybe dirty. Is the ignition stock oem (which u imply it is not). If u have a mech advance only dist, like I have, which is a Delco; are the vacuum advance lines (2) plugged with 10/32 screws? If not plugged, that may be a source of the wheeze.

Just some early morning thoughts.

Hmmm,

Somewhere in my dimming past there was a case of a distributor filling with fuel vapor that fired with a 'huff!' at the first turn of the engine each day. It also had loose springclips that hold the cap on the distributor, and the owner had to keep bending them to make them tight.

This finally blew a large hole in the side of the distributor cap.

It turned out to be a leaking fuel pump diaphram that allowed fuel into the crankcase while the engine ran. That fuel would partially vaporize and rise into the distributor past it's bushings. It condensed into liquid fuel overnight which gave a new source of vapor that all ignited when the rotor first made an arc to one of the distributor cap plugwire connectors. I don't think that it had points. The vehicle ran fine except for it's morning 'huff'...which could have as easily been thought a sneeze.

A little weird, but true. It could happen to you.

Besides the engine being rebuilt it's all original, stock, just the way it came out of the box from the dealer:). Plugs are new...but you never know. the wires are correct but are old. The engine may have about 3000 miles on it. but it runs fine. I guess after thinking about about it you also call it hissing if you were to attach a hose to it. I will try replacing the wire with others I have......yes I'm cheap. And then maybe buy some new ones. I will check if spark is actually getting to the spark plugs. Thanks

dfmorse said:
FJWAGON;

U may have a plugged PVC valve. Maybe water in the gas.

How may miles on engine? How old are the spark plugs and wires? U could have a cross fire from old spark plug wires.

After my first cup of coffee this morning, I am thinking that your plug wires could be old and cross firing; or the cap and rotor are old and maybe dirty. Is the ignition stock oem (which u imply it is not). If u have a mech advance only dist, like I have, which is a Delco; are the vacuum advance lines (2) plugged with 10/32 screws? If not plugged, that may be a source of the wheeze.

Just some early morning thoughts.

I would of never thought of this one as being the fix(fuel pump being the culprit). I will consider this as I do more troubleshooting. thanks a bunch. :)

FJ:

I like what "HONK" said, #12.

My fuel pump was giving out a few months ago and I remember smelling gas and seeing drip marks on the black top. So.. I did some close looking and it was running down the block toward the distributor. On my year FJ40 there is only one solution, new pump. And that fixed problem. Could be the same thing on your '82.

Thanks......at this point I'm ready to try anything. :)

dfmorse said:
FJ:

I like what "HONK" said, #12.

My fuel pump was giving out a few months ago and I remember smelling gas and seeing drip marks on the black top. So.. I did some close looking and it was running down the block toward the distributor. On my year FJ40 there is only one solution, new pump. And that fixed problem. Could be the same thing on your '82.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom