'82 2F on motor stand - now what?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All -

My '78 has the original 2F and smokes enough to ensure I (and the wife) smell like oil every time we drive it. I was able to buy an '82 2F out of an FJ60 with better compression numbers ( 135,130,125,130,125,135psi ) than my truck and one which didn't appear to smoke (per the seller - I was unable to see it before it was pulled). Looks like the PO pulled it from a truck he was able to get running after sitting for 10+ years so I'm at a crossroads: I plan to keep my rig forever (however long that is these days) and I want a good running and reliable motor that doesn't puff blue smoke all the time.

I've got the motor cleaned up somewhat (was super leaky all over) and on a stand. I could:
  1. Just reseal it and let it ride
  2. Pull the head and have it worked
  3. New bearings on the bottom end "while I'm in there" OR
  4. Rebuild it
  5. Other options?
Either way I will desmog it and use the header off of my rig so I'm going that far for sure. I don't mind spending some $$$ to do it right and don't mind doing the work myself - that said, I also don't want to sink more than $2K in for everything if I go option #4.

Appreciate any and all advice (except suggestions to convert it to a V8 - been there and done that... it was great but this rig is going to stay Toyota).

Thanks,
Jeff

50137137157_6480ca56d0_h.jpg

1. I personally could not bear the thought of pulling the oil pan for a re-seal and NOT taking a look at the bearings.

2. As I mentioned last week, I don’t think I would counsel installing a used 2F without pulling the cam and replacing the timing cover plate seal. It’s a total PITA to do in the truck, but only 1/2 a PITA to do while it’s out.

Has oil galley plug fix been done?
Nope, totally virgin 2F near as I can tell. When I pull all the smog stuff will know more but would certainly plan to do so.

Nope, totally virgin 2F near as I can tell. When I pull all the smog stuff will know more but would certainly plan to do so.

I’m doing it on a motor. I’m replacing all of the gaskets except the head gasket.

Get an OEM Toyota gasket kit.

puff blue smoke
You don't mention the current engine's compression numbers, but this says valve guide seals to me.

Constant blue smoke that gets worse on acceleration would more likely be rings.

Pull the head, send it off for a valve job. They can do the oil galley plug at the same time. Good time to inspect cylinder bore, decide on a re-ring or no...

I'm about ready to do one of these options as well so interested in the conversation.

I got the timing cover seals and gaskets and plan to do the oil gally plug fix and a reseal but just know that If I look too deep it's going to be much more expensive than 2K even If I do most the work.....

Would be great if you could just open it up part way find out that things look nice inside and just button it up.

why not just figure out whats up with the one in it now? with numbers like that, its probably just a valve job.
You don't mention the current engine's compression numbers, but this says valve guide seals to me.
Constant blue smoke that gets worse on acceleration would more likely be rings.

Good points for sure - in my blue smoke thread, I recapped the current engine. Short version is compression is 120 except for one that's 115. Basic valve job already done on that motor / head.

I'd like to not be without the truck for too long and have already bought / gone to get the later model 2f (which will hopefully ensure I can rebuild it if needed vs. my '78 that's hard to source parts for). I'm thus inclined to get it ready to go on the stand and then stab it in one day which will minimize downtime.

Pull the head, send it off for a valve job. They can do the oil galley plug at the same time. Good time to inspect cylinder bore, decide on a re-ring or no...

Thanks Pighead - that's my current bias. What's involved in the bore inspection? Is it visual or measurement? I've read several rebuild threads where the were measuring the bore but that was after they had decided to take it all apart.

Quite a few years ago when I replaced the oil pan gasket on the 2F in one of my FJ60s, I looked up into the cylinder bores and noticed how smooth the surfaces were - I could still see cross-hatching from the factory machining. So you should be able to get some idea of the condition of your 2F that way.

Thanks Pighead - that's my current bias. What's involved in the bore inspection? Is it visual or measurement? I've read several rebuild threads where the were measuring the bore but that was after they had decided to take it all apart.
Just visual and tactile. look at the bores, run your fingers over them, feel for any ridge at the top of the cylinders...

What is the oil galley plug fix everyone keeps bringing up?
Take a look:

Imagine that, I'd never heard this one before. Well, since the motor's out and the head is off I'll do this one too. I love this board! You guys know everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom