'81 through '87 2F Distributor Tech (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Cruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
This evening I completed the first production unit of a direct bolt-in single diaphragm vacuum advancer for the '81 through '87 2F distributors. It'll be on its way to a fellow MUD member tomorrow.

The advance curve of this new NipponDenso advancer is almost identical to the advance curve of the OEM advancer's main diaphragm, so it's a good alternative for Land Cruisers that rarely see high altitude or rarely see low altitude.

I have almost 20 more of these new advancers waiting to be modified. I'll start fabricating the miscellaneous parts needed for the modifications later this week. That'll allow me to offer quick turnaround if anyone's interested in buying one (or more :)). I have them posted in the For Sale forum.

Here's a photo and the vacuum advance comparison plot:

029450-2201-FJ60.jpg

Attachments

• FJ60 Main Diaphragm vs. 029450-2201.pdf
    24.2 KB · Views: 171
this is @4Cruisers work , FYI .........

the Attachment above that did not take

:)

matt

1600314204129.png

@4Cruisers does phenomenal work. Today I installed my refurbished ‘79 4cruisers distributor in my 79 FJ40 and it works flawlessly. Truly a drop-in installation that’s a fountain of youth for my truck. Advance curve is smooth and with proper idle timing now set my slight ping on loaded acceleration is gone. :bounce::clap::clap::clap:

For the less informed, what exactly is this modification achieving. For example, I have a 85 F2, desmong, with a recurved distributor and live a sea level...what would this do or not do?

And why is this not a great option for high altitude owners? Perhaps a little basic education on timing and advance at different altitudes would be highly educational for us. Thanks for your support to Mud members!

There are many here who are way more qualified to answer this. But I’ll give it a shot. Replacement vacuum advance canisters are hard to find. The dual canisters, which had primary advance and high altitude advance, are unobtainable for the most part. The option that @4Cruisers is providing is to replace a non-functional dual advance canister with a brand new single canister. If you have a 1/79 or newer truck, it came with HIgh Altitude Compensation. Most Folks who desmog remove this system because of the cheap plastic HAC valve and it’s unreliability. In that case, the option that @4Cruisers provides is very good. Remember that pre 1/79, no land cruisers came with HAC. In all these cases, you should tune your truck to the elevation you primarily drive.

And why is this not a great option for high altitude owners? Perhaps a little basic education on timing and advance at different altitudes would be highly educational for us. Thanks for your support to Mud members!
Good question. The HAC system adds additional air to the carb to compensate for the low atmospheric pressure, and it advances the dizzy up to about 7deg. over and above the primary advance. This is the outer port of a dual canister vacuum advance. If you don’t have a functional HAC system, and you drive at high elevation, you should tune the carb to run well at your elevation, and run the dizzy more advanced than the 6 degrees BTDC of the FSM. Might take a little experimenting to get the best results.

Toyota recommended using premium octane gas for their 2Fs?
Hey @Dizzy , are you asking DID Toyota recommend using premium? Honestly, I have not figured out the correct translation between the Octane (Research Octane Number) recommendations in the owners manual, and the current octane numbers shown on US gas pumps with modern ethanol fuels. If there is a fuels expert on here, I would like to learn. I've just had to experiment to find the right octane for my trucks. I currently run 92 octane in my stock 79 with good results. Now that I have a properly running distributor, I am going to take another attempt at 87 and see what happens with during loaded acceleration/hill climbing.

They sell 86 with alcohol blend in New Mexico. As soon as I started running that, my O2 sensor went from a bit rich to ideal (more anecdotal than scientific). Currently running the Non-USA with octane selector on a ported '75 carb, that is jetted richer than stock. Domed pistons 2F. I know my compression, and vacuum, are low, and my altitude is high, so why not make it run better, and save some money?

@ToyotaMatt , did that Premium sticker actually come OEM on a 40 series? I have the original Unleaded sticker(s) on my 79, but I wasn't aware that a Premium sticker came on any 2F powered vehicle.

@ToyotaMatt , did that Premium sticker actually come OEM on a 40 series? I have the original Unleaded sticker(s) on my 79, but I wasn't aware that a Premium sticker came on any 2F powered vehicle.

i did not apply this decal , this truck came to my shop for service and repairs a few years ago , its a USA spec. and California spec. as well

i installed the KPH cluster .........fyi

and analog lights switch , not to get confused here ..........

other then that , that's all the tech i know ?

have not dug hard enough to see if all California and or high altitude spec. maybe had this too or a option like thing ?

I personally ALWAYS run super high test / octane whatever i can get here on east coast in my
NON-USA smog free
1983-FJ43L-KC
because of the ethanol B/S added and stuff put in the cheaper gas to well ................make it cheaper $ :confused:

but it truly runs a hell of alot better too .................. :idea:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom