81' FJ40 Resurrection (Build-up to get it trail worthy) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
niteryder.net
This is not a complete restoration project. It's little more than me trying to get the FJ40 back to a somewhat trail worthy state. This is what I'm starting with..
fj40_right.jpg

Your new best friends will be a plasma torch, POR15, and a body man.

Good Luck.

The next few posts are me catching up..

Took a look at the brakes first. Surprisingly, they were in fairly decent condition. The Rear shoes needed to be replaced. But, no leaks from the master cylinder, brake lines, calipers, and the rear cylinders. All the flexible lines were in good condition and not cracked.

The front rotors spin freely as well. So, considering the condition of the vehicle, the brakes look good.

brakecheck.jpg

Last edited:
I was looking over then engine and I will start working on the removal of things that are just taking up space and are not needed. The smog pump is one example.

I took a look at some of the plugs and noticed some buildup. From my wrench-turning days, I am going need to clean or rebuild the carb. At this point, noting in the engine compartment really catches my eye as being a showstopper. Some minor things will need to be fixed or replaced.

I had to order the plugs, dist, and plug wires.

distremoval.jpg

Some genius decided to repair the floor (not me) with foam, license plates, cardboard, and bondo. I know McGuyver used the same combination of things before, but it was for a bunt-cake or something, not floor boards on an FJ.

passside.jpg

After removing all the sillyness, just some minor surface rust remains. //sarchasm

driverside.jpg

passhand.jpg

passmissing.jpg

Plenty of good metal left to weld in some new floor pans. I will also be re-securing the box to the mounts. May put in a roll cage as long as I'm at it.

damn.....I cant tell what your taking off or whats fallin off......thats a buttload of rot..........good luck keepin her on the road......your a good man for trying :)

good news, it has the correct center caps and looks like a decent bezel...oh and the seats havn't rusted out yet :D

Spent way too long trying to remove the exhaust heat shield that was wedged under the vehicle from 2 owners ago. Apearently that heat shield was keeping me from shifting the diff into 4hi or 4low. Don't ask, it was in there good. I was thinking it was just the linkage, but this was much easier to fix. Hmm, or was it.

Also noticed that whenever the exhaust was done last, they did not bother connecting the smog hose to the new cat. So, the hose is just hanging under the vehicle. *sigh*

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom