81 3b alterantor removal from 81bj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mike

82bj42 1st project
Threads
How does the alternator come off the bottom mount. Is there a bush that needs to be removed? I have removed all the bolts/ screws and the alternator still won't slide off the bottom mount? Thx inadvance

There is one long bolt. The nut side should be on the pulley side. Remove the nut and push/pull the bolt all the way out the back (towards the fire wall.) The alternator will pull straight out. If it has been in there a while and hard to pull out, you might have to rotate it up and down along the axis as you pull it out at about a 45 degree angle.

Hi Mike

Part of the pivot casting acts as a cradle to hold water and this tends to make the pivot bolt corrode and lock in place.

So you may need to drive it out with a punch.

I actually drilled a drain hole in my mount to prevent this from reoccurring:

AlternatorPivot.jpg

:cheers:
AlternatorPivot.jpg

Thx for all the help, I finally got it out.

Last edited:
Alternator mounting holes

When I got mine out I found one of the holes was elongated from being loose at one time. Any ideas about how to fix this? Jim

When I got mine out I found one of the holes was elongated from being loose at one time. Any ideas about how to fix this? Jim

Maybe bush the damaged part back down to the correct size Jim?

I think it should be possible to drill the elongated hole (to make it round for the bush) if there is enough metal there and if you have access to a tool like a "die grinder" to assist with centre-ing.

Another option .... Fill the wear with bronze and file the hole back to "round" (depending on what part your talking about).

:beer:

Thanks Lostmarbles. I live in a small community with limited access to qualified mechanics. I'll give it a try. Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom