8000pound winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
is an 8000pound winch too small a winch for a standard hardtop 40 series? not likely to winch up vertical walls or anything, just pull my ass off some rocks, or out of a bit of slippery mud. (not deep bogs)

bad_religion_au said:
is an 8000pound winch too small a winch for a standard hardtop 40 series? not likely to winch up vertical walls or anything, just pull my ass off some rocks, or out of a bit of slippery mud. (not deep bogs)

8274-50

Everything that you need to know about an 8K# winch.

Has worked great for years on this pig...

Gilbert2-58.jpg

and about five minutes after this picture was taken, I broke the right rear lockout and twisted off the left front inner axle....we then spent the next two hours using the winch to get my busted junk out of 1%....

:beer:

Last edited:
There once was a time that I thought hydraulic winches were the only way to go and that ALL electrical winches sucked. I then found myself on the end of an 8274 and that changed everything. It was on the front of the last buggy, and will be on the front of the new one when it is done.

ClayOK-197.jpg

:bounce: :hillbilly

so that's a "yes 8000 pounds is adequate" :D

there is a BIG difference between the 8274 and all the other planetary 8000 pound winches (the 8274 is not planetary-almost every other common consumer winch is)

Last edited:
CruisinGA said:
there is a BIG difference between the 8274 and all the other planetary 8000 pound winches

X2!

Poser said:

x3, if you keep an eye out you can find one used for about the price of a new planetary one.

Last edited:
I bought one on this board for only $800 and it was in nearly perfect shape. I don't even think that it had been mounted on anything.

I know the 8274 has a huge following but i have done great with the two Warn M8000's I have. Maybe if I was doing the stuff you guys do I would need more, But so far I am very happy with what I have.

Oh yeah, If you have a winch You need a snatch block. It halves the load on the winch so a 8000 LB winch acts like a 16,000 LB winch. You need twice as much cable but it makes a huge differance when your trying to suck your rig out of the mud.

8274 the best friend a bad boys toy can have... power. speed. and an extra 50'
I'm looking for another one myself

bj42turbo said:
Hmm Adam, dose this mean you have one lined up :)

BJ

ummm possibly... but since my powersteering box got sold from under me, i don't have that much confidence...

8274 is the best thing going for an FJ40. :D

But, an 8000 pound winch of any kind is better than none at all. :eek:

Rule of thumb for minimum winch size: One and a half times the gross vehicle weight.

Trollhole said:
Are there any advantages of having the 8274 mounted with the rollers comming throught the bumper rather than having it mounted above?

It gets it out from in front of the radiator.
DSC00366_small.JPG

Trollhole said:
Are there any advantages of having the 8274 mounted with the rollers comming throught the bumper rather than having it mounted above?

IMG_4860.jpg

Yes, it means that the force from the winch is straight shear on the mounts and is no longer somewhat rotational like yours is, and what Michael said about airflow through the radiator.

I see. Though I haven't had a problem with cooling. I assume if I had a sbc I would. And I see your point in rotational effect. I think it would snap the cable before snaping those 4 bolts. I might just add another set through the frame just incase. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom