80 won’t start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 97 has been having some issues recently with the starter. Every once in a while it won’t start but a hit with a hammer has been getting it going every time. Today it cranked up fine but there was a unpleasant sound coming from the engine so I turned it off. Opened the hood and checked around, everything seemed fine so I tried to fire it up again, but this time all I got was a weird grinding noise from I think the starter. Almost sounded like it was revving, kind of a hard sound to explain in words. Is it just time I replace the starter? Or any other ideas of what it could be? I’m not super mechanical so I wanted to ask here

Replace or rebuild the starter. The sound you were hearing is the starter solenoid sticking. Not a good situation.

Replace the starter last month.

Happened to me about 3 times over several months. Then it left me at a coffee shop where unbeknownst to me one of our wholesalers and a few coworkers were watching me. Banged on the starter and she fired right up. Rebuilt as soon as the parts came in and it’s been fine since. Good luck!

Rebuild it. Much cheaper than buying a new one, and you get the same thing, since there aren't any new ones around.

It'll take about an hour, unless you clean and polish stuff, than it'll take as long as it takes.
ASP has everything you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom