80 with MT/Rs in the sand... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
well, did try out the MT/Rs on the 80 in the sand dunes at SnT. Relatively light cruiser.
I was happy to see that -contrary to what I had read in several places- the MT/Rs behaved very nicely in the sand.
Did not get stuck once. I did not get the impression that they were digging in excessively. Of course, you gotta stop pushing when you bog down, but they were not touchy at all.
Did most of the dunes playing with 15 psi and it went anywhere I wanted including some steep slopes with no difficulty due to the tires.
Out of curiosity, I also set them to 40 psi and went back in (at night so not quite as extensively). I could tell that it was a bit harder to go up dunes and I did dig in a bit easier, but I still was able to go just about anywhere I wanted as well.
My conclusion: for plain sand running -meaning no fooling around on purpose with big dunes- I would not even air down at first, and if airing down would not go down to 15 psi unless getting stuck repeatedly.

e9999 said:
My conclusion: for plain sand running -meaning no fooling around on purpose with big dunes- I would not even air down at first, and if airing down would not go down to 15 psi unless getting stuck repeatedly.

I concur. Especially where you know the terrain.

That and the 2nd Start button.

when playing in the sand at SnT, I was amazed at the performance of the 80 in the sand. With some minimal skill and common sense, I just simply never got stuck in about 100 miles of dunes play. Basically if I'd go some place too steep and too soft, the truck would bog down. I'd stop right away. Put it in reverse and every single time, it'd move right back. Take another line or add one locker after another until it'd make it. But never ever got really stuck as in get out and start digging...

On flat sand, even very soft, I never got stopped. In Hi it would struggle a bit at time, but would go on. In Lo, it'd be a breeze.

One of the 80 little pleasures was to do the "add a locker game":
Go up steep dune slope, bog down.
Add CDL. go a bit higher, bog down.
Add rear locker, go still higher, bog down.
Add front locker, higher still and usually over the top if not already before.
If all that fails, go back, get some speed and go again.

In fact, even pulled a broken down 40 over a couple of easy dunes with nothing locked at all and barely above idling in Lo.

e9999 said:
One of the 80 little pleasures was to do the "add a locker game":
Go up steep dune slope, bog down.
Add CDL. go a bit higher, bog down.
Add rear locker, go still higher, bog down.
Add front locker, higher still and usually over the top if not already before.
If all that fails, go back, get some speed and go again.

Not sure if you know it or not but the add a locker game actually increased your chances of getting stuck in sand. But that didn’t stop me ether, as I played all weekend in 4high center and rear locked, just for the simple pleasure of "feeling" a bit looser in the turns spinning both tires.

-Ammo

AMMO said:
Not sure if you know it or not but the add a locker game actually increased your chances of getting stuck in sand. But that didn’t stop me ether, as I played all weekend in 4high center and rear locked, just for the simple pleasure of "feeling" a bit looser in the turns spinning both tires.

-Ammo

nah, only had the end lockers on when going up steep loose stuff and that was only straight on.

But you were doing fine in Hi? Mine was doing way better in Lo than Hi in the loose stuff...

e9999 said:
But you were doing fine in Hi? Mine was doing way better in Lo than Hi in the loose stuff...

I'm a bit "under geared" then you, so I might as well had a blower compared to a stock rig.

AMMO said:
I'm a bit "under geared" then you, so I might as well had a blower compared to a stock rig.

should read the sigs....

whoah! 37s on 5.29s must be like a 28" or 29" on stock gearing....?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom