80 w/vibration issues help.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys, my 80 is starting to develope the dreaded "driveline vibration and clunk". I've read a few threads on the forum here, and I believe my 1 banana:banana: technical skill is going to keep me from successfully pinpointing and performing the fix. Does anyone on the board here have any experience with the issue/fix? Anyone willing to lend a hand for maybe a few brewskies? Thanks for any input!!

Is the ''clunk" happening when you go from park to drive or park to reverse? The zerk fittings
may need alittle grease. I usually grease mine after every oil change and it has taken alot of the "cluck" out of my driveline.

The clunk happens in drive from a stop to drive, then again at a stop. I also feels a little loose when going over uneven, bumpy roads. There is also a vibration that is really bad in drive sitting still. It continues until about 20 mph, progressively evening out. If I put it in neutral, it improves dramatically. I haven't yet checked the fluids but the issue is very new.

Sounds like you may have a cylinder mis firing. I would let Glen (LexTech) listen to it first.

The clunk happens in drive from a stop to drive, then again at a stop. I also feels a little loose when going over uneven, bumpy roads. There is also a vibration that is really bad in drive sitting still. It continues until about 20 mph, progressively evening out. If I put it in neutral, it improves dramatically. I haven't yet checked the fluids but the issue is very new.

Is it more noticeable going from reverse to drive (and vice versa)?

I had a similar issue on all my Jeeps and it was always the U-joints in the driveshafts.

The clunk definitely feels like its a driveline concern. I'm really more worried with the vibration than anything. Based on my research, it does sound like an a u-joint or lack of lubrication issue. Yet, the car still feels like it's in great working order. I drove it to Nashville a few weeks back with zero issues.

Call Glenn at Lex Tech Automotive. He can troubleshoot it and give you an estimate.

x3 for Glenn

U joints certainly sound likely. I did have a weird noise when I broke a hanger for the exhaust. it would vibrate where it contacted the frame towards the back. Sitting in a drive thru you had to put it in neutral or rev it up just enough to get rid of it.

Go under and grab your exhaust and move it around a little bit and see what it looks like from front to back. Preferably when it's cooled down. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom