80 vs a side by side for farm use (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That roxor is pretty damn cool though.

Yup. We work with a local vendor for them. Real solid driveline and solid axles that strongly resemble Dana 44s. Body is heavy steel. Lots of room for an intercooler in front of the stock turbo diesel. Not sure if you could rig up a PTO hydralic system.

Not sure what kind of farm but I grew up working on a farm and something smaller than an 80 or even a side by side was very welcome. We used 4wheelers with trailers. Easier to maneuver could get you to any place you needed.

yall make good points... a used 4 door taco may be the ticket, easier to toss a chain saw into for clearing the road, and bring the wood back for fire wood, the fj45 is nice... I dont need s chevy v8... already got a gas hog. Truth be told, I think I was just looking for a convincing reason to buy an 80. It was the 80 series that made me 1st notice cruisers back around 86 or 87. I did some work for a guy that had one and a mercedes and a jaquar and he said he liked driving the cruiser a lot more than the others. What sold me on cruisers was getting stuck on I-70 in snow meggedon for 12 hrs in a honda accord with no heat. Even now, even while driving the 100, if I see a well kept 80, it just looks like it belongs out in the woods somewhere. I also think it's the cheapest way to get all 3 dif locks and I believe at least some of them have solid front axles. I could get a 200 and let the 100 be the off roader. I think I just want a 80. Going back hang out in the 100 section...
thanks

just learned something crucial from you guys... finding a good used 80.... is going to be really hard

No it wont, nobody here wants to use theirs as a farm implement. Find a beater but itll take longer to find a beater with lockers and a reliable engine. My vote is an older taco, throw some 33s on it and lift it a couple inches, lunchbox locker in rear.

KEI TRUCK!!

I LOVE my Mitsubishi MiniCab :)

1000-2.jpg

1000.jpg

minimitzmudding11.jpg

minimitzmudding9.jpg

minimitzmudding10.jpg

minimitzmudding4.jpg

minimitzmudding5.jpg

Hauls more than any ATV/UTV, 4WD w/Low range will take you anywhere you wanna go, enclosed cabin keeps you warm and dry and best of all, they're dirt cheap :)

I've had a bunch and picked this one up for $500 bucks :cool:

love the gator - dumping bed is really useful... that said I'm searching for a patina Fj45 ....

yall make good points... a used 4 door taco may be the ticket, easier to toss a chain saw into for clearing the road, and bring the wood back for fire wood, the fj45 is nice... I dont need s chevy v8... already got a gas hog. Truth be told, I think I was just looking for a convincing reason to buy an 80. It was the 80 series that made me 1st notice cruisers back around 86 or 87. I did some work for a guy that had one and a mercedes and a jaquar and he said he liked driving the cruiser a lot more than the others. What sold me on cruisers was getting stuck on I-70 in snow meggedon for 12 hrs in a honda accord with no heat. Even now, even while driving the 100, if I see a well kept 80, it just looks like it belongs out in the woods somewhere. I also think it's the cheapest way to get all 3 dif locks and I believe at least some of them have solid front axles. I could get a 200 and let the 100 be the off roader. I think I just want a 80. Going back hang out in the 100 section...
thanks

Hey man.
An 80 for 'farm use' I recommend against.
An 80 for off roading I highly recommend.
Tootling about a couple hundred acres does not an 80 require.
Off roading in a vehicle with the most off road capability available might.

Which are you doing really?

I speak only for myself, but after reading between your lines let me say that many of us here are a little further up 'the trail' but we all passed that same 'trail marker' that stands before you now.

In my case, yes. Yes to lockers. And ONLY IF it had the lockers. As you posit, IT IS the most cost-effective way to get them. They are worth 3 pennies to every one you might spend on the whole truck. Anything less - as you correctly suspect - is **ssin' in the wind.

Yes they can be added, either aftermarket or rebuilt OEM. Air or electric.

But to simply buy a stock vehicle - the size of an 80 - with pure off road locked capability and A/C and dry storage and room for extended off-grid living necessities/appliances...for $15k average...this sentence is already too long to go on about the value levels we're talking here. Add 1 winch (or 2 - 1 front and 1 rear if you're posh) and you have, simply put, the best off road capability available to human kind. In my humble opinion alone.

If "factory, full-spool" off roading is an absolute necessity, and an 80 isn't immediately available, the Gelanda'v'agon is another choice. It's a pricey little so'n'so tho. No matter what year, Munich's BDSM Mada'am Maintenance is always there for her pleasure.

Or if money is no object, there's always the pricey new Jeep Rubicon for $50k+.
There's the Ram Rebel full-sized pick-up with a rear locker and a winch for $45k.
And they have a new 2500 Ram with a winch and rear locker I think for $55k.

There's always the Ford Raptor with a rear locker and the propensity to catch fire and burn to the ground for an average of 60 thousand of your hard earned $.

The new Ford Ranger in some trim has a rear locker...and a 2 liter 4 banger with bulging veins... for $45k.

A used Nissan Titan @ $45k and rear locker with a V-8...

You get my drift. An 80 is a commitment. And 'farm use' is the wrong kind of it.

OR, you simply get something based on your needs (i.e. the reason you're spending the money) and relegate your adventures to the requirements of farming.

If it turns out that a SxS is a better choice, and protection from the elements for yourself or passengers/items is not a concern at this moment, then the Roxor is really your only robust, work-a-day option. ESPECIALLY if they get a PTO option (which I thought they already had but other posters say no, so Idk). And because THERE IS NO WAY Mahindra would make that thing AND NOT plan for a hard top option/add-on soon-coming.

Just my 4.5 cents. :)

Snake Eater.... thank you... this looks to be up my alley, where are you finding them?

Landlocked 93... 1st thanks for the reply... you 80s guys are being a bit nicer than the guys in the 100 forum... I have a 100. Im not looking to spend a pile of money, at this point in time.... I think I'm really trying to keep my 100 from getting more blackberry vine scratches than it has now. Right after I just got it painted. I'd never get a Gwagon... dont like how it looks and dont like how it would make me look. I would have be ok with a Gl450 for everything but off road ... until I found out about replacing the air suspension. I know someone who has one.
I think I was trying to answer 2 questions at once... which you guys sorta sorted out. Question 1 was something to drive through the woods no matter the weather. The kei mini truck will do that and for 500-2000 if i tear it up I'll buy another one.
Question 2... one land cruiser is never enough, which one should I get a 80 or a 200. I think I'd want a 2010 + but I'd want to pay closer to 20K so i need to wait a while or to get a good, locked 80 is going to be a hunt to find one in good condition... I've got time... I wouldnt be ready to buy till maybe after september and I'm still getting things done to my 100.
I dont think I'd ever buy a american made truck. Thats what tundras are for.
As for adventures... yes there's driving miles to go have adventures at off roading trails and such... if you have a property... there's 2 springs on our land... the river is close, there's a few tracks back through the woods... there are places that i have walked with my dad and uncles since I was big enough to walk... and there's the land in the mountain... my dad died in October and 7 of my 9 uncles are gone... and now I have a knee and a hip that talk to me especially in bad weather... I like to visit those places all of which are within maybe 3 to 5 miles of the house... but I want to be able to go in almost any weather and not worry about having to walk back , cause the vehicle got stuck.
I probably also should have... I'm not going to farm.... not farm farm. I have to much respect for those who do FARM to in any pretend that I am going to farm. One of my cousins that is 15-20 years younger than me... he may pull off actual farming.
I guess at least some of you are thinking about life after the time that you HAVE to go punch a clock every day... I see myself living on the farm... having a serious garden... there's fruit trees there.... maybe cultivating them and enjoying the land.
Our farm road is a mile long, I can remembering about 10, our car got stuck at the beginning of the road in like 12" of snow. I had to make maybe 4 trips up and down that road schleping luggage. Now 43 years later... I have a 100 and wouldnt get stuck but my point is. I dont wanna do all that walking

I also think it's the cheapest way to get all 3 dif locks and I believe at least some of them have solid front axles.

yes factory lockers are going to be the cheapest option if you buy a truck with them already and all 80s have solid front and rear axles. you woul dwant to get 93 or later as that's when lockers were an option and the rear is a ff axle.

if you can get a good deal on an unlocked 80 I wouldn't pass that up, its very easy to install an auto locker and they are very inexpensive

KEI TRUCK!!

I LOVE my Mitsubishi MiniCab :)

1000-2.jpg

1000.jpg

minimitzmudding11.jpg

minimitzmudding9.jpg

minimitzmudding10.jpg

minimitzmudding4.jpg

minimitzmudding5.jpg

Hauls more than any ATV/UTV, 4WD w/Low range will take you anywhere you wanna go, enclosed cabin keeps you warm and dry and best of all, they're dirt cheap :)

I've had a bunch and picked this one up for $500 bucks :cool:

For the win! Love that thing.

Snake Eater.... thank you... this looks to be up my alley, where are you finding them?

I picked up a handful of them as well as a bunch of other fleet vehicles including Golf carts, trailers and boats from the Disney's weekly property control auctions :cool:

limocartbigtires3.jpg

limocartbigtires2.jpg

newlimocart7.jpg

newlimocart2.jpg

monsterlimocarthome2.jpg

monsterlimocarthome.jpg

monstercart.jpg

monstercart4.jpg

monstercartminimitz-640x480.jpg

monstercartminimitz2-640x480.jpg

They typically sell for about ~$300-$500 bucks, but the ones with scissor lifts and dump beds tend to fetch a bit more.

An old '90 XJ is my farm vehicle of choice. Light as hell so you can push it when it breaks down :rofl: But really, parts are cheap and abundant, the back can turn into a bed, surprisingly small outside dimensions, 4.0 has all the torque you need, and the best part is the turn radius. Plus if you get the old body style you have to seriously try to make a dent it it because the body pannels are stout where there isn't rust. If you want a truck then jeep made a Comanche pickup that's the same as an XJ but with a bed. Those might be getting to collector status soon though.

I picked up a handful of them as well as a bunch of other fleet vehicles including Golf carts, trailers and boats from the Disney's weekly property control auctions :cool:

They typically sell for about ~$300-$500 bucks, but the ones with scissor lifts and dump beds tend to fetch a bit more.

Cool! How do you get access? It looks like you need to either be a cast member or a vendor to have access to the online auction.

Vendor Depot

I'm not on a farm, but have a very old Kawasaki mule to get around my property. Love it, but it is not enclosed so in winter it ain't great. I'm looking to eventually replace it with one of those Japanese mini-trucks. I think they would be perfect. Lots of different options including 4wd, low range, lockers, etc. And I like how the sides fold down on the beds to make them into a small flatbed. Some are even street legal. And best of all, they are affordable.

Cool! How do you get access? It looks like you need to either be a cast member or a vendor to have access to the online auction.

Vendor Depot

Local business Tax ID is all I needed to sign up.

My shop does repairs and restoration on all of their fleet and classic/antique vehicles, so my guys are there at least once a day eyeballing the auction lot for me ;)

IMG-4762-640x480.jpg

herbietaketwo1.jpg

IMG-4883-640x480.jpg

herbie-section.jpg

IMG-6998-640x480.jpg

IMG-7133-640x480.jpg

IMG-7200-640x480.jpg

IMG-7504-640x480.jpg

IMG-7511-640x480.jpg

IMG-7614-640x480.jpg

IMG-7632-640x480.jpg

IMG-7662-640x480.jpg