80 vs a side by side for farm use (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@98 SNAKE EATER Have you plated a Kei truck here in Florida? I see them on the streets every so often, but haven’t ever found one for sale that wasn’t fresh import and titleless. Looked at this Honda a week ago, no title, etc. I just don’t know what hoops to jump through.
3A2E35DC-E4A7-4720-A199-77D07FB26FF5.jpeg

9DD1A824-61D8-4934-B6FA-059288252231.jpeg

You can apply for a new title using a TL63 and register them as a Low Speed Vehicle (LSV) just as you would go about registering a Golf cart for road use.

All you really need are the proper forms and a Bill of Sale

It must have all DOT required safety equipment (lights, turn signals, wipers, seat belts, DOT rubber, etc.)

For me, I have a bunch of Transporter plates, so I just slap one on a go ;)

You can apply for a new title using a TL63 and register them as a Low Speed Vehicle (LSV) just as you would go about registering a Golf cart for road use.

All you really need are the proper forms and a Bill of Sale

It must have all DOT required safety equipment (lights, turn signals, wipers, seat belts, DOT rubber, etc.)

For me, I have a bunch of Transporter plates, so I just slap one on a go ;)
Thanks. Sounds easy enough

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Get you one of these and don't look back. I didn't buy it new. You can find good used ones at a decent price. It's strong as hell, 4x4, and will pull a load. I also have a tractor too as you see in the background but the sxs is great.

@vilasman -

I was in your spot just a couple months back - my solution was a 4WD quad w/ locking diffs (‘16 Yamaha Grizzly). $5250 & has ~130hrs on it (so barely used but 1/2 of new M$RP.

I kept my 80 but I’m going to spend a fraction of the time & money maintaining the Yamaha vs the 80 using it for the same stuff.

And frankly, I’m trying to avoid denting up the 80 - it’s pretty clean & want to keep it that way.
I got most of my ‘beat - fix - repeat’ out of my LX450, so I can just keep the black one nice & use it for my snowboarding/road trip toy.

I’ve already got access to a mid-level diesel Kubota loader/backhoe, but for me doing little crap or shuffling the boat/trailer around, the quad is plenty.

Everybody likes pics:
715C8A40-0581-462E-A0A9-45DD6AC248F0.jpeg

My two best friends just both bought 34 and 40 acres respectively. We cleared a brush path for a SxS and I was amazed how well it handled the terrain (brand new Polaris) in the mud. The bed was however a bit small to carry 2 chainsaws, fuel and all our other crap for the process. I personally would find a 4WD bucket tractor more useful, especially for hauling or cutting logs. That would be my first choice.

That being said, none of us has a tractor currently, so my 80 is the go to workhorse for the bigger stuff. Tows a full size bed trailer just fine.

20180621_132609.jpg

20180621_132627.jpg

Can be used to choker logs when needed as well
20180526_112518.jpg

20190123_154614.jpg

20190127_104157.jpg

My main complaint about the SxS is that the big cab wheelbase seems too long to maneuver in the woods effectively, especially when in 4WD. The small cab is super tight for 3 guys and the bed isn't long enough to hold a rifle case or a good amount of wood. I haven't towed my trailer up into the woods yet and I know that the turning radius is crap there too with it attached, but I could likely choke the logs to the trailer or winch them close to cut and toss in. I have no doubt my 80 could pull the loaded trailer up or down any hill the SxS could navigate. We have towed out pickups and other SUVs from the off-road park without issue and the terrain is similar.

I'm not a farmer but if I had an acreage to maintain I'd find a way to get my hands on a small tractor, especially if we are talking a budget of $16k. Versatile and tough enough to do pretty much everything.

IMHO, if you have acreage you need a pickup truck, a tractor, and a side-by-side. They don't have to be new. Mine are all older units.

THE VAN...damnit...we rented one in Greece for a day and it was magical. Packed a bunch of sailors and Marines into it.

I wanted one then...and I want one now!!

THE VAN...damnit...we rented one in Greece for a day and it was magical. Packed a bunch of sailors and Marines into it.

I wanted one then...and I want one now!!

This guy usually has them in stock

Met him in Orlando a couple years back and he gave me a set of JDM vent shades he had on his HDJ 80 :cool:

Anyone talking about that mini truck I'd say hasn't driven one. It's a clown truck for clownin' around. I drove one regularly in the military. And boy did I clown. There is nothing serious about it. It's a conversation piece. Small talk, if you will. The van pics just illustrate the gutter into which this thread has fallen. lol

In the interest of getting back to business, here's the bottom line: For $16k you could field a couple of vehicles and keep your 100 berry-vine-scratch free.
I stand by my original post - I do not recommend an 80 for the farming you do not do. lol
The 100 covers yours on-road.
Be adventurous and let the $16k cover your off-road. Several *rattlebox FJ-40's out there for $10k or less. Several Willys out there for same. Honda Recon is a conservative keeper as is the Roxor.

And FWIW, well-maintained 80's aren't hard to find. Go to the shops who service them. There are several here in the forum and a few outside.

Last edited:
Funny You should reply, yesterday. I got my 100 all nicely painted... and promptly got it all berry vine scratched up.
Sounds crazy but I was happy.
The thing is, I'm looking at driving the 100 to the farm cutting and splitting fire wood for the better part of, if not a week... and then pulling as much would as I think I can safely pull back to the city.
Trailers registered at 9000 or 9500lbs
Question is... how do I figure out when I have as much weight on the trailer as I should try to pull? Go through a weigh station?
Trailer is 6x18 2 axle and I have trailer brakes...

Funny You should reply, yesterday. I got my 100 all nicely painted... and promptly got it all berry vine scratched up.
Sounds crazy but I was happy.
The thing is, I'm looking at driving the 100 to the farm cutting and splitting fire wood for the better part of, if not a week... and then pulling as much would as I think I can safely pull back to the city.
Trailers registered at 9000 or 9500lbs
Question is... how do I figure out when I have as much weight on the trailer as I should try to pull? Go through a weigh station?
Trailer is 6x18 2 axle and I have trailer brakes...

lol - yeah, it's hard to stay on road when you have one of these things.
Just on a hunch, I'd be surprised if you could load more wood weight than the trailer is rated for. Unless its green and full of water.
Also if there are no significant grades or altitude changes you should be good with as much wood as you're comfortable pulling.

I've got one or 2 good grades leaving the farm to get to the interstate.... the rest of the trip i should be ok

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom