80 vs 4runner - which is better? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted this in the truck forum, but I wanted to repost in the "80 forum" to get the opinions of 80 owners...sorry if there is overlap...

After a lot of scouring internet pages and newspaper pages (and getting advice on boards like this! ) I'm getting close to getting a truck...BUT I still need help deciding. So...let me know your opinions:

candidate #1) 97 4runner 160k miles, rear locker, timing belt replaced, leather, overall great condition - asking $8000 but seems willing to negotiate as he wants to sell it soon!

candidate #2) 93 Land Cruiser - also 160k miles, factory lockers front and rear, also great condition, leather, etc. - $7000

The Cruiser is slightly further away from me (read airplane expense) so I figure they come out about the same.

Opinions on which would be a better buy? I know, it's probably up to me..but are there opinions on which is better offroad, longer lasting, better for gas (HA!)...you get the idea...all opinions valued!!!

TIA
Kevin

Highly subjective and personal...depends on what floats your boat.

This is a cruiser forum, so obviously most of us think the cruiser is the vehicle of choice...for ourselves.

I think the only advantage of the 4-Runner is you'll save a few bucks on gas. Other than that, the cruiser gets the nod.

Like you said, it depends on preference. I prefer the 80 (LX450) because I like the bigger truck. My daughter has a 4 runner because a bigger truck might be too much for her, plus she wants the better gas mileage. I personnaly like the handling of the 80 better and she likes the 4runner. They are both capable vehicles.

There are more options that are readily available for the 80 to build it up. They both have the same available (Sliders, ARB, OME Lift). However, there are not as many rear bumper options for the 4 runner.

Some would say the 80 is a better built truck for offroad, but The 4runner has been very capable. I would drive both. Find one in your area you can at least drive (Fellow mud member?) and then drive the 4runner and decide on how you like the handling between them.

Don't know where you are, but if your in the Denver area, give me a call and you can try ours. They are both setup similar with an OME lift.

Oh, if you are going for the 4runner, make sure it has the 3.4L engine. The 3.0 is a dog

Tough call Kevin. The 93 LC may have the older R12 in the AC. This can be converted for a reasonable amount. Also, just a DS airbag I think. The 97 4Limper will likely have DS & PS airbags. Just some points to consider. Good luck.

Ken, they stopped putting that in 4Limpers as of 1995...

clownmidget said:
Ken, they stopped putting that in 4Limpers as of 1995...

Well, then when I was looking they must have changed out some motors because I found a few :D Course maybe the sales folks didn't know what it was when I called.

I also found a few 4 cyl in the 3rd generation range

4runner is a great truck, but no LC.

LC stuff is generally heavier, (good and bad thing) 4.5L is a a proven workhorse engine. The 3.4L is a solid motor, but no cruiser I-6. Service life is generally longer with the cruiser.

For wheeling purposes, the solid front axle of the 80 handily kicks the runners ass.

I would MUCH rather have that '93 than that 4skinner.

At some point 4runners began to be assembled in the US. (not sure when). All Cruisers are imported.

Romer said:
Well, then when I was looking they must have changed out some motors because I found a few :D Course maybe the sales folks didn't know what it was when I called.

I also found a few 4 cyl in the 3rd generation range

Yeah, reminds me of all the eBay ads for 80s with v-6's or v-8's :)

I know I'd rather have the LC w/ those lockers and a shop like Slee to mod the crap out of it. But I wouldn't want to pay for gas...

Romer said:
Oh, if you are going for the 4runner, make sure it has the 3.4L engine. The 3.0 is a dog

I agree. You gas savings won't be that much, though. I like both, Wife drives the 80, daughter drives the 4 Runner. Both are extremely durable. Personally, I'd go with the 80. I'm stuck with the 40...........

Romer said:
Don't know where you are, but if your in the Denver area, give me a call and you can try ours. They are both setup similar with an OME lift.

See??? This is one of the reasons I got into Cruisers in the first place!! Cruiser-heads will (generally) wave, help each other, and oogle at each other's rigs and mods. I mean, just look at the help on this board!

Ken, I'm in Aspen...but only in the summer...and I'm working just about daily!:frown: I once dropped in on Jeff Zepp, while at work even! He dropped everything, took me right out to his Cruiser and out for a spin! You guys have a great club and hopefully, one day, I'll be able to wheel with you. (sans weapons for me tho... ;) )

:beer:
Kevin
77 FJ40 2F...may be for sale soon...
TLCA#9459

clownmidget said:
Tough call Kevin. The 93 LC may have the older R12 in the AC. This can be converted for a reasonable amount. Also, just a DS airbag I think. The 97 4Limper will likely have DS & PS airbags. Just some points to consider.

Yeah, I think it's got the older AC (owner says it needs to be charged) but I won't really use it much out here. Aspen gets hot, but it ain't that real kind of heat! And it's coooool at night! :cool: How much ya' think for the AC conversion anyway?

And I posted a pic of the locker situation, I'll post again here - but someone mentioned there was no airbag!? True? I know there is a debate about it, but I'm assuming having dual airbags is better for safety and insurance, eh?

Thanks - as usual - you guys know so much...anyway, here is the pic :beer:
Kevin
locker switch1.jpg

I really debated this just before I bought the 80. Reason for buying it was the capability for expedition travel with more room and more the rep for durability. Regrets are the 4runner actually has a friggin arm rest the driver can use, and has cloth seats. I hate leather, and if I can find a cloth non-electric seat that will swap out into mine, I'm buying 'em. The 4runner's seats and sitting position was soooooooo much more comfortable. The only time I don't like my 80 is when the drive is over an hour long.

I would rather have the 80 than 2 4runners (at least my 2nd gen, 93 3.0 liter, I hate it). The solid axle 80 will be cheaper and easier to lift/build up, I know it kicks my 4runners a$$ in every way, even gas mileage is not that far off.

Kevin.

I live in a total cruiser family. my two borther, sister and mom all drive them. I drive an 80 and so does my sister.

About two months ago my dad and i were looking for a heavy safe car for my little sister and decided to maybe go with a 4runner this time since all we had was cruisers. Thought it would just suit her better. I went out with him once and we test drove a 98 4runner limited. No doubt, nice truck and had a rear locker but having drivin an 80 for the last 4 years....you can feel the quality by just driving them, the runner was alot lighter and actually felt louder to me, my 80 has 251k miles and the ride/drivetrain feel was better then the runner.

Just my experiences.

I have a 4th gen 4runner, and my 94 lc. If I had to do it all over again, I would have looked for a pristine condition 80(30-40k miles) instead of dropping $30k on a new runner. Now I have a good rig 160k miles on it and my 4runner. I prefer my 80 to my newer v8 runner.

'93 LC will not have an airbag. LC's did not come with airbags until 1995. Don't think insurance gives a hoot.

Nephew has a 4runner and loves it. I have an LC and love it. You have to drive both.

the 1993 has no airbag. i am biased but I would not trade my 93 for a 97 4runner and $5,000 let alone pay more for the 97. at that mileage the build and component quality of the landcruiser will show through. There is a reason they cost so much more than a 4runner new.

no one has mentioned that the 4runners rust and the 80s do not. this may not show up as much on a 97 4runner but the 80 has been around since 1991 and I have never yet seen a rotted wheel well on an 80 or any major rust except the upper hatch around the window. the early 90s 4runners are rotting badly around here. It may be something to do with the specialized araco manufacturing of the landcruiser.

one suggestion i would make before you buy the 93 80 with that mileage is to check the EGR system. The 1993 federal model sold outside california has no egr temp sensor so the egr system can fail without throwing a check engine code. if you have emissions testing this could be an issue. You can check the condition by pulling the filter cap on the egr modulator and inspecting the filter and also checking the vacuum lines for blockage and corrosion. if you see much carbon in the filter or any carbon or corrosion in the vacuum lines or tubes, you will need to replace the modulator and vsv valve, vacuum lines and potentially the egr valve, plus clean the egr passage. This is not that big a deal if you DIY but well over $500 at a dealer so it could help you negotiate with the buyer.

timing belt replaced,

That right there would make me want the cruiser over the 4peoplethatcouldntaffordacruiser!!

The airbags, remember should be serviced every 10 years and people debate how well they work with an ARB (provided you're getting one) on the front anyway. There is no s*** way in hell I would pay more money for a 4bummer (I'm having fun with those) then a cruiser!

4runner is a great rig and I've seen early 80s non-IFS rigs go over just about anything but the cruiser is SO much more for the money! I had went through what you are a few months ago and then I saw the two side by side, case closed!

GOOD LUCK!

Aspen;
One of the reasons I didn't like the 4runner was the pedal placement and room for my feet - and I don't have large feet. It was a hard and cramped driving experience for me. I tested this out on my buddys 4runner, a 96 or 97 model. On top of that there was engine problems that required him to replace tthe whole engine. Toy did this for free; some kind of a secret factory recall as I remember...
dfm

I too chose an 80 over a 4-runner...we were looking at 4 runners but then saw and 80 and tried it. Liked it WAY better...just MNSHO...more room for me and better ride I thought. The quality is great on the 80's prolly the best. They seem to hold up excellent in crashes and just are overbuilt and sturdy.

and our 93 has R-134a a/c...at 188K it still rides nicer than most of my friends new vehicles...I can't wait to put OME on there.

Go for hte 80, you won't regret it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom