80 VS 1st gen 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Substitute 1st Gen 4runner for the word Hilux. Especially when comparing to the 80 series.

I have been pondering this myself. It's been 10 years, have opinions changed?

Any former 1st gen 4Runner owners wish they still had them over an 80? I've never owned a 1st gen myself, but have always wanted one.
I owned a first gen for awhile and I loved it. But I still own the 80 and the 4R is gone... there's a reason. Stick with the 80

I still have both. The 4Runner is just for wheeling and I trailer it. I could put it back on the road but it would take a lot of work. The 4Runner is fun to wheel, especially here on the east coast where most of the trails are tighter. However, it does beat the everloving piss out of you on the trail and is pretty cramped inside. First time I took the 80 wheeling I was texting and drinking coffee and goofing off where in the 4Runner I'm just getting beat the whole time.

I plan to keep them both as long as possible. If I had to get rid of one I would keep the 80 just because it is more versatile.

Honestly, your answer is here. Look at how sparse the 4R is compared to that loaded 80. If weekend warrior stuff is your jam, go with the 4R. But if you go on serious expeditions, you go with the 80.

True but I’ve also been driving my cruiser 8ish years now. The 4runner was several months old at that time. I’ve since built a front bumper for it, started on a poptop build, and am planning for LT and someother goodies. But yeah the cruiser handles everything without a fuss and more comfort.

I still have both. The 4Runner is just for wheeling and I trailer it. I could put it back on the road but it would take a lot of work. The 4Runner is fun to wheel, especially here on the east coast where most of the trails are tighter. However, it does beat the everloving piss out of you on the trail and is pretty cramped inside. First time I took the 80 wheeling I was texting and drinking coffee and goofing off where in the 4Runner I'm just getting beat the whole time.

I plan to keep them both as long as possible. If I had to get rid of one I would keep the 80 just because it is more versatile.
So true. The fatigue that comes with wheeling a 4runner is completely resolved in the 80. It's a complete juxtaposition, not even close.

The bottom line is they are different tools. I daily drive the 4Runner. It is nimble, easy to park and fun to drive. I do take it out for camping when it is just my daughter and me and I don't expect crazy challenges. IFS on washboard roads is nicer.

I drive the 80 about once a week just to keep it fresh. I get a smile when I drive it, but the job this tool is for is offroad, rough terrane, or need to carry more than two people and their gear. It is also more comfortable for long days of driving. I will say gassing up a rig that gets 20mpg vs. 12 mpg is noticeable in the pocket book.

One thing I'll also add is that I feel really lucky to have both. I like having vehicles I feel comfortable repairing myself. The minute I bought the 4Runner I found that fixing or maintenance became much more enjoyable. When I needed the 80 for daily driver duties, all work had to be either done in an evening or over the weekend. All parts that I would need had to be both anticipated and in hand before starting work. I didn't realize what a PITA that is. Now when I tear into things, can take more time to clean, paint, etc. I can see if something needs to be replaced before buying it. I can walk away if things go sideways. I can take all the time I want or need.

One downside is both are due for new tires. $Runner just got its new set because I sliced up one a couple of weeks ago. I spent almost half of what I bought the 4Runner for on new tires. New tires for the 80 are going to be another oucher for the wallet.

Last edited:
a vehicle to sit 7 people and take them anywhere in a traditional seating posture.

That's highly debatable, and downright incorrect if you're an adult in the 3rd row. But even the 2nd row in an 80 kinda sucks because of Toyota's insistence of having a 3rd row, cramping the leg room on the 2nd row. And don't get me started on sitting in the middle seat on a long drive.

Otherwise, the 80 rocks.

I’m not sure where y’all found these 20mpg 1980’s 4x4s I have a 5th gen and it dosnt even get 20. All my old 4Runners weren’t particularly easy on gas, but nothing like the 80.

I think I cracked 20mpg more than once in my '84 pickup. My dad can also get 20+ in his 2010 4runner, but he drives deliberately "grandpa"

The 4Runner has a smaller carbon footprint...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom