80 vs 100...SIZE MATTERS: (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, I hope this won't turn out to be a 80 vs 100 hate thread? :confused:

I have maintained all along (and several have admitted the same) that the main off-road disadvantage of the 100 when compared to the 80 is not IFS, but rather the 100's larger body size.

First: Let's address the IFS by taking a few comments about the 100 from Overland 4WD:

"Like the other variants with independent front suspension, the on-road ride, handling and steering of the Sahara is a big step up from the live-axle models. There's less bump steer, better turn in and far better stability - and the rougher the road the better the front suspension performs in comparison to the live-axle."
"Toyota's own live-axle front end may give more ground clearance and superior wheel travel, but the difference between the two arrangements would only come into play in the last five to ten percent of extreme off-road driving. And if the Sahara does have any off-road limitation due to its IFS, the excellent electronic traction control system (TRC) does a great job of masking the same."

OK, so let's all agree that on-road IFS is a nice improvement. Let's also agree that a front live axle has the advantage while extreme 4-wheeling over IFS.

GREAT, NO IFS vs SFA WARS! :cool:

NOW, TO MY POINT OF THIS THREAD:

I have noticed by driving the 80 and 100 on the same trails that the only obstacles I pass on in the 100 are the ones where the body would be in danger. The 100 is so much larger (in a very tight trail situation) that it's size is the main stopper on extreme trails. It's not the fact that the wheel lift in the 80 is 2-inches and the 100 is 4-inches. It's not the diffrence in ground clearance as they're really close in that arena. It's the fact that for many extreme obstacles the 100 simply will nail it's front, it's rear and it's sides. When does this come into play. Rarely. Sure. Though it is a 4-wheeling factor. Check these measurements. I was SHOCKED when I compared my trucks:

My 80 (keep in mind this is not a fair comparison as my frames have been cut with custom bumpers installed):

Length: 178-inches
Width: 76-inches
Body width (flares eliminated): 71-inches

My 100 (keep in mind it's loaded with ARB, Slee, etc., though this measurement is like the 80, from bumper to bumper and does not include the spare tire sticking out beyond the rear bumper):

Length: 203-inches (a whopping 2+ feet longer!)
Width: 76.4 inches
Body width (measuring out the flared body panels): 75-inches (4 body inches more than the 80!)

You'll see from those specs why a 100 might not climb some things an 80 can? Imagine the approach and departure angle difference between my 2 rigs?

Now, I'd like to see how 2 more rigs measure up in comparison:

1. A loaded ARB/Slee/Kaymar whatever 80. What's the length? This will be a fairer comparison to a loaded 100. Apples to apples. Anybody have a measurement?

2. Amando's 100. He fab'd some custom bumpers which shortened his 100 (great job!). Let's look at his length and compare to the other scenarios including my shortened 80? Amando? Can ya take a measurement buddy? I'll bet his 100 has a notable advantage over mine, just as my 80 has over the typical loaded 80. :confused:

ShottsUZJ100 said:
OK, I hope this won't turn out to be a 80 vs 100 hate thread? :confused:

Title of thread: 80 vs 100

This is good friday humor :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Tad, patiently watching thread. :popcorn:

Oh, btw I agree with your rationale.

tabraha said:
Title of thread: 80 vs 100

This is good friday humor :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Tad, patiently watching thread. :popcorn:

I tried to think of other titles though I wanted to get the maximum attention in order draw rational responses. :rolleyes:

This is why I got a 100 .... my Suburban was too big (and old and unreliable). Everything is a compromise. No 4x4 can approach the capability of a Dirt Bike off-road but the 100 meets my overall needs.

NMuzj100 said:
This is why I got a 100 .... my Suburban was too big (and old and unreliable). Everything is a compromise. No 4x4 can approach the capability of a Dirt Bike off-road but the 100 meets my overall needs.

That was one of my primary reasons too. It seems to be the perfect size, for me, and not many other SUV's are that in-between size.

Greg B said:
Is that real? It sort of looks "photo-chopped" from that angle. If that is real, that is wild! Is there a real advantage of a six-wheeler like that for off-roading?

More traction helps though the length limits it.

I doubt he wheels it anywhere that size would be a hinderance to a 100.

Nice try, though. :rolleyes:

ShottsUZJ100 said:
OK, I hope this won't turn out to be a 80 vs 100 hate thread?

Here we go again.....:rolleyes:

Don't you have any other dead horses to be beaten?.............:rolleyes:

cruiserdan said:
Here we go again.....:rolleyes:

Don't you have any other dead horses to be beaten?.............:rolleyes:

Pllllb Dan. :flipoff2: :D

These size comparisons can help in making decisions between adding accessories vs customization. It's notable information. ;p

So how long is your 80? I'd guess it has an ARB front and a Slee or whatever rear bumper? How long? We need that measurement.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
You got a ARB front, Slee/Kaymar whatever rear there you can measure? From bumper to bumper not including the spare tire. :)

And? I don't see the use of going all this. Maybe you need a playstation wheeling game with interactive rig building and then we can settle this once and for all. :D

Hove to go clear out the shed. No time to do this now.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
1. A loaded ARB/Slee/Kaymar whatever 80. What's the length? This will be a fairer comparison to a loaded 100. Apples to apples. Anybody have a measurement?

208" from the front of the winch to the outer edge of the spare tire on the rear.

TJK

:)
sleeoffroad said:
And? I don't see the use of going all this. Maybe you need a playstation wheeling game with interactive rig building and then we can settle this once and for all. :D

Hove to go clear out the shed. No time to do this now.

You don't see how this info could help some of us (or even me, who's looking for another Cruiser)?

I have a 203-inch 100. It's huge, and it puts it at a disadvantage over a smaller rig. IF Amando's 100 is a foot or more shorter, then I'm all over another 100 and an 80's out. If however it's not much smaller, then building a downsized 2nd 100 might not be my best choice. If it's not the best choice then another 80 will be in the drive.

This also may help other 100 owners who haven't yet modified their drive. If they want to be more hard-core and know the size difference between the 2 build types is great then that may help their decision. If on the other hand Amando's truck is only 4-6" shorter than mine, then they may decide to go for ARB/Slee instead for the added looks and functionality.

The question is "what's the difference"? I'd like to know how long a loaded 80 is just to compare to my 80. This will help my in making the 80 or 100 decision for the next rig. :)

Kaderabek said:
ShottsUZJ100 said:

208" from the front of the winch to the outer edge of the spare tire on the rear.

TJK

Todd: Can ya go bumper to bumper only? Don't factor in the spare tire. THANKS! J

That is like asking "How long is a piece of string? " It is all relative to tire size, type of wheeling one wants to do, whether you care to scrape the bumpers or not. Have a big old under belly pan etc etc. I can not see how these exxact measurements is going to factor in when you decide what vehicle you need. There are so many other factors that are more important and also personal preferrence.

In any case, you can not get another vehicle, because then you will never be able to decide what you are taking to Moab :flipoff2:

sleeoffroad said:
That is like asking "How long is a piece of string? " It is all relative to tire size, type of wheeling one wants to do, whether you care to scrape the bumpers or not. Have a big old under belly pan etc etc. I can not see how these exxact measurements is going to factor in when you decide what vehicle you need. There are so many other factors that are more important and also personal preferrence.

In any case, you can not get another vehicle, because then you will never be able to decide what you are taking to Moab :flipoff2:

It doesn't matter? You take a 4" lifted 80 (typical) with 35-inch tires (typical) and then compare a loaded one (like most are) to one like mine (not many around). I'm guessing my 80 to be about 18-inches shorter than a loaded 80. I can do things my buddies cannot because of those app and dep angles and shorter body. I'd guess a loaded 80 would need 8-inches lift to attempt some of those sametight spots I can? Not sure. That's why I ask. I'm trying to figure out which way to go.
I'm curious as to how a shortened 100 (Amando) compares to my 100. If he a lot shorter then his design is the way to go on a truck as large as the 100 (IMO...for me and possible some others).

THINK SHORT BUS CHRISTO? Isn't one of it's advantages the smaller size?

ShottsUZJ100 said:
Pllllb Dan. :flipoff2: :D

These size comparisons can help in making decisions between adding accessories vs customization. It's notable information. ;p

So how long is your 80? I'd guess it has an ARB front and a Slee or whatever rear bumper? How long? We need that measurement.

It's right about 17 feet (204 inches) from the outer face of the spare tire (Slee rear) to the front edge of the shackle mounts (Stout Equipment front bumper).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom