80 vs 100 series LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at both of these and curious as to feedback on which model is preferable? Any insight greatly appreciated. I would ultimately love a diesel motor

if the truck is solely for you then the 80. if it is used by you and your sig. other then the 100

If you're the kind that showers everyday go for the 100. If you think dirt on your shoes means you need new shoes go for the 100. If you haven't camped since 1982 go for the 100. If you can't grow a beard go for the 100. If you own a Tommy Bahama shirt go for the 100. If your arms don't fill out your polo go for the 100. If you prefer tea over beer go for the 100. If you wear gloves whilst driving your Miata go for the 100. If your food can't touch the other food go for the 100. If you get Starbucks giftcards go for the 100. If your golf handicap is less than 25 go for the 100. If you wanted to be a cowboy as a kid...the 80!

Zona

Haha someone hates 100's. I think the list should've kept going............. Awesome

the 80 is more capable off road, solid axles, but slower onroad. The 80 is really a great all around 4x4. Setup correctly It can do expo, rockcrawl, family wheeling, whatever.

the 100 gives you v8 power, still capable but not solid front axle. Makes a great expo vehicle and family camping vehicle.

Consider your usage and choose accordingly.

@zona ^Rad!!!

This questions gets asked frequently, but I'll chime in.

They are two totally different kinds of trucks. I just bought my '98 Lexus LX 470 with 94K miles. I own a '96 and '97 80 series.

What's the budget? What do you want to do with it? Camp? Overland? Crawl? Web Wheeler?

Drive them both!

80 Series. You feel like you're still one with the truck; comes with all the shakes and rattles.
100 Series. You feel like you're driving/floating on white fluffy clouds.

Both expensive. Get ready to buy and spend a lot of $$$$$$$$$ to get it where you want it to be. Standard.

80 series concern. Head Gasket.
100 series concern. Timing belt.
Both items cost about the same price.

Buy the truck with the most extensive and best detailed history that you can afford.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I have both 96 lx lifted on ome 2.5 and stock 98 100. The 100 is way more comfortable to drive everyday and I don't care what anyone says the v8 in the 100 has more usable and smoother power on road. 96 feels like it could take more abuse offroad and is less refined. The little extras in the 100 make it more comfy. Softer seats with arm rests, auto opening rear vent windows, little bit wider for more room to move around and more leg room.

If you're the kind that showers everyday go for the 100. If you think dirt on your shoes means you need new shoes go for the 100. If you haven't camped since 1982 go for the 100. If you can't grow a beard go for the 100. If you own a Tommy Bahama shirt go for the 100. If your arms don't fill out your polo go for the 100. If you prefer tea over beer go for the 100. If you wear gloves whilst driving your Miata go for the 100. If your food can't touch the other food go for the 100. If you get Starbucks giftcards go for the 100. If your golf handicap is less than 25 go for the 100. If you wanted to be a cowboy as a kid...the 80!

Zona
This has to be,hands down the most clever and original post I have ever read on Mud.
:clap:

you mentioned you want a diesel. You will either have to swap one in or import one that is already 25 years old. The early 80's are now just reaching that 25 year mark...the 100's have a long way to go still. Swapping a diesel into an 80 is much more doable given the front solid axles vs the IFS in the 100...not saying it can't be done, but it will be more work than the 80.

I have used search and I have a few questions:

I want a Lincoln Ride, Prius Fuel Economy, Humvee Capability, Corvette Acceleration, and Kia Rio Pricing, which should I get?
If it doesn't meet those specs I'm doing a swap, or I'm putting on 57" Tractor tires and need to know which lift would eliminate the rubbing?
Which oil filter is the best and what oil should I use?

I know everyone is using these KM2 tires, but I need something that is good in rocks, sand, snow, street, and mud. Any way they can last 100,000 miles?

If I regear to 2:1 Gears will it still be good on the highway?

I just found a Triple Locked, 2-Tone, Cruiser in the Sahara with zero rust and perfect interior with 50K on Craigslist and want to know if it's worth $467K

My truck goes thru gas faster than a Bum thru Champagne. What you getting for Mileage?

Last edited:

I want a Lincoln Ride, Prius Fuel Economy, Humvee Capability, Corvette Acceleration, and Kia Rio Pricing, which should I get?
If it doesn't meet those specs I'm doing a swap, or I'm putting on 57" Tractor tires and need to know which lift would eliminate the rubbing?

I know everyone is using these KM2 tires, but I need something that is good in rocks, sand, snow, street, and mud. Any way they can last 100,000 miles?

I just found a Triple Locked, 2-Tone, Cruiser in the Sahara with zero rust and perfect interior with 50K on Craigslist and want to know if it's worth $467K

Are we spotting today?

I have owned multiples of each, and although everyone says it is truly a personal preference, that is absolutely true. the 80 is just the perfect vehicle and size for me. And is in my mind a classic. Where the 100, people will look back 40 years from now and wonder if it was a minivan.

I have owned multiples of each, and although everyone says it is truly a personal preference, that is absolutely true. the 80 is just the perfect vehicle and size for me. And is in my mind a classic. Where the 100, people will look back 40 years from now and wonder if it was a minivan.

I doubt many will confuse a 100 with a minivan. Just about every cruiser ever released has had the same thing said about it...but low and behold, they all have become "classic" or 'collectible' over time. I have 2 80's, and will probably add a 100 or 200 to the stable at some point over the next year or two.

And if you were to start a post on any of those things you mentioned it would be 3 pages long by this time tomorrow !

Zona
roflpunchingfloor.gif

As @1973Guppie advised, a lot of it comes down to your intended usage.

FWIW, I have both. The 100 is clearly a more modern vehicle with conveniences the 80 lacks: side mirrors that point towards the ground when I'm in reverse, seat position memory, power telescoping steering wheel, arm rests, smoother, quieter.

From an off-road capability standpoint, I'd probably rate the vehicles like this (in all stock form):

1) Locked 80-series
2) ATRAC-equipped 100 series (2000+)
3) Rear-locked 100 series (option on 98-99 I believe)
4) Unlocked 80-series

Of course, modifications (addition of aftermarket lockers, suspension changes, etc) changes the above ranking but a decked out 3x-locked 80 will always be a bit more capable than a decked out 100...but that difference is probably only really noticed by the real hardcore guys.

For my intended use (overlanding/camping), the 100 is clearly the better choice. BUT there is just something about the 80. The lines, the character, I don't know? So the 80 is the one I obsess about... :rolleyes:

I have an 80 and love my truck. A few weeks ago I rode in my cousin's 100. Gotta say, it's a nice truck, super comfortable and a good bit quicker....but, (and I'm not sure how else to explain this), the 80 has the feel that I like. I suggest that you drive several of each and see what speaks to you. I'm sure that there are Mud members in your location that would offer you a test drive. Good luck with the search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom