80 VIN PLACEMENTS? NEW OWNER (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long time 60 owner, long time IH8MUD'r....................

just purchased a 93 FZJ80, something's fishy with the VINs

dash VIN is gone, sticker on the driver's door is gone(still evidence of it being there)

No VIN plate in the engine compartment

Replacement California VIN tag on the driver's door B pillar(official)

I'll get pics later but my question is..............is there a VIN stamped on the frame? And where?

I will have it in the air Saturday morning so I can look for it

Pics coming later

Long time 60 owner, long time IH8MUD'r....................

just purchased a 93 FZJ80, something's fishy with the VINs

dash VIN is gone, sticker on the driver's door is gone(still evidence of it being there)

No VIN plate in the engine compartment

Replacement California VIN tag on the driver's door B pillar(official)

I'll get pics later but my question is..............is there a VIN stamped on the frame? And where?

I will have it in the air Saturday morning so I can look for it

Pics coming later
The ones on the 80 aeries is on the RF frame rail just to the rear of the shock tower.

Not positive on the 60 series but I would guess would be the same.

Probably stolen or wrecked or both.

The ones on the 80 aeries is on the RF frame rail just to the rear of the shock tower.

I've had the 60 since '03 not looking for that

I will check and post back tomorrow thanks! :beer:

Check the passenger side of the cylinder head for a vin #

Heading to my work to put new tires on it, I'll have it in the air for a full inspection

Well the passenger side of the cylinder head has a lot of things bolted to it.........where should I look?

Well it's there but it's partially covered by a State of California replacement VIN plate.....and it's definitely different than what the title and the replacement VIN is.....

Becoming concerned :oops:

If only you had a government body to verify a replacement VIN they supplied. Some kind of department that handled cars and trucks. They really should come up with something like that. I bet the state would make a killing on fees. If you think this thing is hot and you want to get rid of it, send me a PM. Ill even come pick it up for free. Gotta love the idea of putting tires on something you don't trust having legal rights to.

If only you had a government body to verify a replacement VIN they supplied. Some kind of department that handled cars and trucks. They really should come up with something like that. I bet the state would make a killing on fees. If you think this thing is hot and you want to get rid of it, send me a PM. Ill even come pick it up for free. Gotta love the idea of putting tires on something you don't trust having legal rights to.
I know huh

16269915502412435996006278954783.jpg

@jefferson-mo

No mine doesn't have that

93 and 94 USA spec land cruisers didn’t have the vin tag on the cylinder head. That started in 95

did you check to see if its a theft recovery,it was probably sold at auction at some point.if you have a clean title issued by the state i wouldn't worry about it.
the replacement tag on the door pilar is what a lot of states do.

There is a vin on the transmission, look above the oil cooler bung on the passenger side

-

Last edited:
If you have a state issued replacement VIN, and you have title to that VIN, what is your concern? Is it just curiosity, or are you worried that you don't have legal title, got had at a sale, etc.? I can understand the latter, but if you have legal title in the replacement VIN you should be good. Though of course on a resale that is going to be a detriment.

On my '96 every panel has a Toyota sticker on it with the VIN. Even the windows have been etched with the VIN but I imagine that was probably an aftermarket service.
20210725_210447.jpg

If you have a state issued replacement VIN, and you have title to that VIN, what is your concern? Is it just curiosity, or are you worried that you don't have legal title, got had at a sale, etc.? I can understand the latter, but if you have legal title in the replacement VIN you should be good. Though of course on a resale that is going to be a detriment.

Honestly I have a clean title, a not perfect but great FZJ80 that I got a decent deal on..............

OK here's my concern...........more of a mystery than a concern.

the State of California issued VIN 4984 matches the title I got. VIN 4984 has a Carfax history in California since new in 1993. This is not that body or frame. The odometer matches the Carfax history.
On the frame is another California supplied (and riveted in place) VIN label......over the stamped VIN on the frame.
The VIN on the frame is 4632 ( I can't read the whole factory stamped VIN without removing the California issued one and I'm not doing that)
What happened to 4632? What happened to the actual 4984? How does 4984 have a complete history?

Juyst an odd mystery to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom